Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stu Learmouth Wirksworth Undul

Stu Learmouth Wirksworth Undul

The Stuart Learmouth Wirksworth Undulator

Stuart Learmouth (aka Grit Britain http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/membe...3-Grit-Britain) sadly lost his battle with cancer earlier on this year.

Stuart ran the fells for Dark Peak and locally for the Wirksworth Running Club. If you were lucky enough to have met stu, on here or in real life you will know what a true gent and all round top bloke he was.

In memory and as a tribute the Wirksworth Undulator race has been renamed
    The Stuart Learmouth Wirksworth Undulator. http://fellrunner.org.uk/races.php?id=1780

The race starts at 10:30 on Sat 20th Oct from the Lime Kiln pub Wirksworth. see link above.

Re: Stu Learmouth Wirksworth U

Thanks sbrt! Kind words, and yes Stu was a true gent!

It will be a great day! Celebrating his life and running the race, ran the route last Sunday with the Wirksworth RC Guys, clearing paths etc.

The route is undulating and takes in some of the beautiful countryside that Stuart used to run on, every week, an great 8 + mile test!

It's entry on the day, so why not have a crack its the only race in the calendar locally! If anybody want any more details just message me.

Stuarts wife Kate and daughter Marnie will be at the event, so lets make it a great turn out.

Martin

http://alwayssearchingfor.blogspot.co.uk/

I will be running this race tomorrow. As a newcomer to fell running I didn't know Stu. It will be an honour though to be part of the trail of runners that will complete the route that bears his name.

Thanks to Wirksworth RC for organising, and all the marshalls out on the course. Lovely atmospheric Saturday morning, the sun eventually broke through the mist. Good turn out of >100 runners for this mostly rural run, with the odd bit of fell terrain - did anyone else spot it?

Results on WRC website here -> http://www.wirksworthrunningclub.co....orial-2012.doc - can anyone fill in the blanks?

For some reason that didn't look too good!

I opened the link in a new window as it wouldn't work directly.

leading runners had real issues with the route.. I was leading kept going wrong, at one bit we were stood wondering where to go... nice work out.. I felt awful and used the getting lost as an excuse and just jogged in.. nice enough race, could do with signs in a few places, one at the end.. and also one field early on.. but maybe it was worse because of the fog.

were your map & compass no use to you Iain? :wink:
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Quote Originally Posted by DazTheSlug View Post
    were your map & compass no use to you Iain? :wink:
    Didn't have any.. its essentially a marked trail race.. tough little course.

Did this last year and similar probs for front runners,if i remember right about 2m in first 2 runners veered right leaving following pack bemused, must admit i wasnt familiar with the area so was happy to tag along with map in hand just in case, managed to scrounge 3rd so cant complain but we did voice concerns at finish about vauge directions