Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Fell Relays

Master
    Does anybody have a link to one of those Strava overviews that shows the various routes taken on the Nav leg?

eilio.JPG

Names have been removed, they know who they are....

Banned
    I see what the discussion is now.
    Contour is the sensible way if allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    I see what the discussion is now.
    Contour is the sensible way if allowed.
    Correct. And therin lies the rub. Because it wasn’t made clear, a lot chose to contour. Had there been a big red line on the map or a note to say “walls must only be crossed at marked crossing points” then it wouldn't have happened.
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Furness View Post
    Correct. And therin lies the rub. Because it wasn’t made clear, a lot chose to contour. Had there been a big red line on the map or a note to say “walls must only be crossed at marked crossing points” then it wouldn't have happened.
    Or a CP on the summit.

I feel sorry for Runners, organisers and FRA. One little mistake by a few and it creates a lot of tension.

Hundreds turned out and had a great day and its marred by a un-for seen error/mis-judgement.

Look forward to next years event folks, I'm sure lessons will be learned by all

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    An idea that was posted on the Facebook thread would seem a good way to resolve this, which would be giving out the Nav leg maps in advance of the leg. This could be combined with a pre-Leg briefing, perhaps just after the start of leg 1.

It is possible that the current method of crossing the line and then receiving the map conflicts with some of the rules and the guidance for ROs and the above would remove any possibility of that and be fair, whilst still being a test of navigation skills.
    Or how about, include in the information pack given at the registration the maps for the nav-leg (but with no check-points marked on) instruct the nav-leg runners that they should study the map, which could include a printed on statement that walls/fences should only be crossed at marked crossing points or, better, over-printed boundaries in purple that must not be crossed as mentioned earlier. If check points can be printed on the map, it must be possible to print a few sentences of key rules to follow.

When the runners cross the start line, they can be handed a sheet with the grid-ref of the checkpoints which they must then mark up themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by PiesAreGood View Post
    Or how about, include in the information pack given at the registration the maps for the nav-leg (but with no check-points marked on) instruct the nav-leg runners that they should study the map, which could include a printed on statement that walls/fences should only be crossed at marked crossing points or, better, over-printed boundaries in purple that must not be crossed as mentioned earlier. If check points can be printed on the map, it must be possible to print a few sentences of key rules to follow.

When the runners cross the start line, they can be handed a sheet with the grid-ref of the checkpoints which they must then mark up themselves.
    I prefer my original idea. I've done 2 Nav legs in atrocious conditions and the idea of marking up CPs myself on a blank map having set off, doesn't appeal to me

I did have half an eye on the rules as well.

FRA Requirements and Rules for Race Organisers 2018
    1. FRA Race Requirements
    h) On or before race day publicise and/or display specific information about the event, including:
    the ‘FRA - Requirements for Runners’; the route ; the equipment to be carried; a copy of the
    FRA race registration document; a local weather forecast for the day; specific race rules (if
    any) covering course requirements (such as ‘out of bounds’ areas or unusual obstacles or
    hazards); retirement procedures and closing times for checkpoints and for the finish.

I would have thought the structure of the Nav leg would struggle to meet 1.h as it is written and I'm not aware of another race under UKA/FRA Rules where you turn up not knowing where you are going until after you cross the start line, although some with greater experience than me will perhaps be able to point to some.
    Last edited by Witton Park; 21-10-2017 at 08:54 AM.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I'm not aware of another race under UKA/FRA Rules where you turn up not knowing where you are going until after you cross the start line, although some with greater experience than me will perhaps be able to point to some.
    Apart from the Kinder Trial, Mercia Trial, Peak Raid series, Mini Kong Series, SLMM, ROC MM, etc, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    Apart from the Kinder Trial, Mercia Trial, Peak Raid series, Mini Kong Series, SLMM, ROC MM, etc, etc.
    Indeed Geoff, the whole point of a nav leg; route finding 'on the fly'. Anything else and it's just another leg in a regular relay.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

A few years ago after one pair on the nav leg were lucky to finish by nightfall the club complained to the Official Referee. His response was that he would be willing to consider the matter further if the club wished because he regarded it to have been irresponsible in nominating an incompetent team and was considering disciplinary action against the club. The UK relay is supposedly a
    test of the best, including navigation, and not just a jolly day out in the countryside.