Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fell Relays

We went over the top, only because we listened to the briefing where the organisers stated what you were allowed to do. We felt if we went round after hearing the briefing it would of been wrong,but it was hugely frustrating to be slogging up the climb sticking to what we had been told knowing teams were going round on gaining time on us.
    It does raise some points that need to be learnt for the future.
    1) no ambiguity- this could of been covered by an extra cp on the summit or out of bounds around the hill side
    2) clearly marked mandatory routes - like at the start - map said marked for 970m but would of been better to have it marked on the map.
    Next years legs will be very clear in terms of what is legal and what is not.
    Races should be decided on the hill in the fairest way possible !

Quote Originally Posted by Lardster View Post
    We went over the top, only because we listened to the briefing where the organisers stated what you were allowed to do. We felt if we went round after hearing the briefing it would of been wrong,but it was hugely frustrating to be slogging up the climb sticking to what we had been told knowing teams were going round on gaining time on us.
    It does raise some points that need to be learnt for the future.
    1) no ambiguity- this could of been covered by an extra cp on the summit or out of bounds around the hill side
    2) clearly marked mandatory routes - like at the start - map said marked for 970m but would of been better to have it marked on the map.
    Next years legs will be very clear in terms of what is legal and what is not.
    Races should be decided on the hill in the fairest way possible !

I’ve seen reference to this briefing on Facebook. When did the briefing take place? We arrived whilst our leg 1 runners were finishing, and were in the area from then onwards, but didn’t hear any briefing going on. Was it before leg 1?
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Briefing was pre race as per the event details on the website and in the final details - 9:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Furness View Post
    I’ve seen reference to this briefing on Facebook. When did the briefing take place? We arrived whilst our leg 1 runners were finishing, and were in the area from then onwards, but didn’t hear any briefing going on. Was it before leg 1?
    I would add that when registering the teams in the morning it was made clear to me that wall / fence jumping was not acceptable on the nav leg, and that crossing points would be marked on the map. [the )( symbol] I was asked to make this clear to all my runners.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ricepudding View Post
    I would add that when registering the teams in the morning it was made clear to me that wall / fence jumping was not acceptable on the nav leg, and that crossing points would be marked on the map. [the )( symbol] I was asked to make this clear to all my runners.
    Just to add, in the interests of fairness, when one of our runners registered they were told only that )( meant a crossing point, and there was no mention of walls/fence boundaries. So it seems some people were told, some people weren't.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamPilling View Post
    Just to add, in the interests of fairness, when one of our runners registered they were told only that )( meant a crossing point, and there was no mention of walls/fence boundaries. So it seems some people were told, some people weren't.
    Yes, I was told that too when I registered our teams. There was no "...and you shouldn't cross anywhere else".

Was not there, but a wall being marked on a map does not mean it will be a structurally-intact wall that should never be climbed in any Fell race (and orientering race I guess). I assume it would be perfectly acceptable to cross a line of rubble that is the remains of a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Yes, I was told that too when I registered our teams. There was no "...and you shouldn't cross anywhere else".
    But Noel why would there need be a "crossing place" if you could cross wherever you liked?

However as Friedrich Nietzsche said to me after the last relay, or perhaps it was the relay before that,... and accusations of short cutting:

'I have done that,' says my memory. 'I cannot have done that', says my pride, and remains inexorable.

Eventually - memory yields.

"...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    But Noel why would there need be a "crossing place" if you could cross wherever you liked?

However as Friedrich Nietzsche said to me after the last relay, or perhaps it was the relay before that,... and accusations of short cutting:

'I have done that,' says my memory. 'I cannot have done that', says my pride, and remains inexorable.

Eventually - memory yields.

It could have been that these were crossing places if you had chosen that way, but there were other crossing places elsewhere. Or perhaps this was the only place where the walls were intact so therefore required crossing points to be marked.

To be honest, I didn't give it much thought. I was told "this symbol means crossing point", and I said "yes I know that". I was confident my nav leg runners also knew that.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    It could have been that these were crossing places if you had chosen that way, but there were other crossing places elsewhere. Or perhaps this was the only place where the walls were intact so therefore required crossing points to be marked.

To be honest, I didn't give it much thought. I was told "this symbol means crossing point", and I said "yes I know that". I was confident my nav leg runners also knew that.
    In fairness a lot of MM'ers will see a crossing point symbol on a boundary as being a helpful indication that it might be easier to cross at that point.

A red crossing point symbol on a red overprinted line means cross at the crossing point and that the boundary is uncrossable anywhere else.

As we arrived at CP2 my thought was that the traversing line looked significantly quicker than up and over. I wasn't quite sure if it was legal (I heard no briefing and had none passed to me, but if this had been, say, one of Ourea's MM maps, it would have been entirely legal). Several teams were just in front and contoured. My partner was just ahead of me and said he was planning to contour. We weren't exactly competitive in V40s. All of those factors influenced my decision...

Jim FWIW
    Jim Tinnion
    (Mercia Fell Runners)

http://midlands-fell.blogspot.com/