Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lightweight overtrousers

Lightweight overtrousers

I'm on the hunt for some lightweight (100g-ish) overtrousers that'll pass the usual kit checks. I don't care about fit, breathability etc - I don't ever intend to wear them unless I've hurt myself.

The Inov8 AT/C Ultrapant were my first look - 86g, sub £100. But retailers only have the dregs of sizing left so I can't get hold of them, and I've heard a rumour they're about to refresh the range. I need them soon so can't really wait unless they're relaunching them imminently.

If you dismiss the 150-200g range (Bonatti, Minimus etc) that only really leaves the Raidlight overtrousers or TNF Storm Stow pants - both 105g.

Are there any others I could consider? Right now I'm inclined to get whichever I can pick up cheapest.

I know the cheaper options have been discussed elsewhere and I do have a 200g pair of Decathlon overtrousers, but I'm happy to pay the extra to shave the weight. Assuming they live in my pack forever they'll last anyway.

Banned
    Hi Ten,

Having been in a position with a knee injury in sleet and minus 5 wind chill. Stuck on a moor for 2 hours. I would suggest you good for the one's that would make a life changing effect, not just trying to save a couple of grams.

I use the OMM gear as I find it up there with the best.

Hope this helps and I'm not having a go at you but safety is paramount and weight is nothing.

Enjoy your running ��

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Hi Ten,

Having been in a position with a knee injury in sleet and minus 5 wind chill. Stuck on a moor for 2 hours. I would suggest you good for the one's that would make a life changing effect, not just trying to save a couple of grams.

I use the OMM gear as I find it up there with the best.

Hope this helps and I'm not having a go at you but safety is paramount and weight is nothing.

Enjoy your running ��
    Agreed - both with the general advice and specifically the OMM trousers.

Super Moderator
    Good posts ^

For context 100gm is approx 4 oz ie a quarter of one pound. Those 15 quid Yeomans jobs might be heavy but would / do work
    Poacher turned game-keeper

The races I'm doing I'm taking a bivvy bag as well. The benefit of better overtrousers are nullified when you're stationary (if you're wrapped in a waterproof bivvy bag in any event.)

Just like everything else, running gear is a toolbox - there are different tools for different jobs, and some races where I want something lighter than what has been suggested.

I like the Kamleika pants, I've tried them on and the material is comfortable and at some point I will get a pair. But they aren't the tool for the job I have in mind, and for the same reason that I have several levels of top cover I would like the same with overtrousers. Which means something lighter than the OMM's and that's what has led me here.

I'm not going to do anything rash, no midwinter solo BG attempts etc. I've had those 'oh s**t,' moments where I've hurt myself up high, in the weather and had to don every stitch of clothing for a long limp home. But there have been times where I've had heavier weight kit than the circumstances merited too. Like I say, different tools for different jobs.

Master
    OMM Kamleika trousers weigh 195 grams - so 90 grams/3 oz more than the lightest out there - a couple of mouthfuls of water - will it really matter?

I'm not going to justify why I want something that weighs half the weight of the product you approve of; I've ruled them out and won't be getting them. Thanks anyway.

And Inov8 have now brought out the latest version of their AT/C Ultrapant so problem solved.
    Last edited by tenohfive; 13-08-2017 at 05:31 PM.

Super Moderator
    Just out of curiosity which events / races are you doing with the new trews?
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    OMM Kamleika trousers weigh 195 grams - so 90 grams/3 oz more than the lightest out there - a couple of mouthfuls of water - will it really matter?
    Mmmh 3 oz?

Well one could have a haircut, trim all nails, have a very close facial shave, shave everywhere else, jettison underwear, do without socks, shorten shoe laces, trim excessive stud length, remove all labels from kit, cut holes in kit (keeping within the boundaries of decency),...and then start cutting out alcohol, carbs.,...although, on reflection, that might be a bit excessive.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Berghaus do a paclite goretex ot which are superb. I've used them for work in winter in Scotland..can't fault them.

£60 ish from various warehouse shops...great outdoors etc.

185 grms depending on size

https://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/Bergha...SABEgJS8vD_BwE