Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lakeland 100/50 2018

Lakeland 100/50 2018

Afternoon all,

Does anyone know when the entries are open for the Lakeland 100/50? I heard it sold out in 5 minutes last year so may be useful to be on the ball!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie's Beard View Post
    Afternoon all,

Does anyone know when the entries are open for the Lakeland 100/50? I heard it sold out in 5 minutes last year so may be useful to be on the ball!

Thanks
    The 1st of September at 9am. I think it's the 50 that normally fills quickest, but the 100 won't be far behind I suspect. Good luck getting in.

The 50 sells out in about 3 minutes. Madness. I'm unsure whether I want to do it again, and will also be in rural France at 9 am on the Sept 1st, so may be out of my hands anyway

I think I'm at work!! Though I've already told Mrs tfg that I'll give it a miss this year despite not getting out of it what I wanted (again!!) this year! Mind she has indicated that she fancied doing L50 again....I've suggested we enter as a team. Is it easier or more difficult to get a team entry...or just the same? What's the procedure in comparison to individual entry?
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
    The 50 sells out in about 3 minutes.
    That's bonkers. What makes it so popular?! The route is pretty similar to some other ultras that don't sell out anything like as quickly, so it can't be just that. I fancy chucking my hat into the ring, so will be there at 9am, but I wouldn't say it was a bucketlist race for me...

Quote Originally Posted by RunnerBean View Post
    That's bonkers. What makes it so popular?! The route is pretty similar to some other ultras that don't sell out anything like as quickly, so it can't be just that. I fancy chucking my hat into the ring, so will be there at 9am, but I wouldn't say it was a bucketlist race for me...
    I think most of the Kudos is built from the Lakeland 100 being arguably the best 100 mile ultra race in the UK. To a large degree the 50 has just ridden that success IMO.

Don't know about the team entries. But if it was fair, it would be treated the same.

Cool, thanks everyone. It does seem ridiculously popular for some reason. Will be setting a reminder for the 1st September then.

Although I'm at a wedding the day before so may need several alarms!!

Did you get in?

What makes it so popular? Well, it's not the "Thames Path" 100 miler for a start!
    It has got to be the highest quality 100 mile trail race in Britain. Because:
    It's a lap of the Lake District.
    The terrain is hard and mountainous without descending into bog-trotting or tussock-bashing.
    The surroundings are magnificent.
    It has fifteen fantastically stocked checkpoints.
    The overall organisation is second to none.
    Everybody is up for doing 100 mile trail races these days, so it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
    Did you get in?

What makes it so popular? Well, it's not the "Thames Path" 100 miler for a start!
    It has got to be the highest quality 100 mile trail race in Britain. Because:
    It's a lap of the Lake District.
    The terrain is hard and mountainous without descending into bog-trotting or tussock-bashing.
    The surroundings are magnificent.
    It has fifteen fantastically stocked checkpoints.
    The overall organisation is second to none.
    Everybody is up for doing 100 mile trail races these days, so it seems.
    I did, and love the race for all those reasons. It's certainly a tough and challenging race. Due to the rough ground, it is fairly equivalent in its toughness to the UTMB race IMO. Despite its lower altitude and less climb.

I got in the 50 again. seeing the 100 mile runners this year as I passed them in their second half, me doing the 50, made me realise how the 100 must be unimaginably hard and incomparable to the 50 - certainly not just twice as hard! so I decided I'm not yet ready for that particular 100 miler. but I can see why it is held in such high esteem in terms of the terrain, views, atmosphere etc. and the organization and atmosphere for the 50 was top drawer in my experience. that's what pulled me back for a second go.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lucker View Post
    I did, and love the race for all those reasons. It's certainly a tough and challenging race. Due to the rough ground, it is fairly equivalent in its toughness to the UTMB race IMO. Despite its lower altitude and less climb.