Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Strava

Quote Originally Posted by benshep View Post
    run a bit further.
    That's what I end up doing - bit sad to run past my own back gate for an extra bit just to satisfy my own Strava OCDness though :-)

I used to record my runs.
    Date, miles, time, a brief summary of the run.
    Strava does that for me.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

I was without strava for a couple of months recently and I started to question my own existence!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    I regularly do similar using memory map had some marvelous long days out on routes of my own making over terrain that I have some knowledge of from my interpretation of the map when plotting the route before downloading the GPX to gps for back up if I have any doubts with my memory and or map reading immensely satisfying.

Not really sure what strava is good for really.
    Isn't it just Facebook for runners?
    Cold turkey is going well. I've even started to get into the Garmin stats which have been overlooked in the past. Lots more detail. I'm personally much happier without it. I agree it probably does motivate some people but if you're training for specific races then that should be motivation enough.

For proper training purposes, the Garmin/Sunnto data is better, no doubt. Strava's definitely more of a social thing for me than a training tool, though the 'matched runs' feature is useful (I'm not sure where to find that in Movescount, if it even exists).

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Trails&Tribulations View Post
    the 'matched runs' feature is useful.
    It is. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be the same for rides unless I'm missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    It is. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be the same for rides unless I'm missing something?
    Can't help you there, I'm afraid; I'm a luddite, and consider bicycles to be unnatural devil machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Trails&Tribulations View Post
    Can't help you there, I'm afraid; I'm a luddite, and consider bicycles to be unnatural devil machines.
    Just wait until you see these horseless carriages that are all the rage
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

I've been working down Cambridge way for quite a bit of late, and Strava segments (and to a lesser extent their heat maps) - alongside perusing openstreetmap/OS maps on bing - have helped me scout out better places to run, 'hills' to rep, loops to do a session on etc.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    I've been working down Cambridge way for quite a bit of late, and Strava segments (and to a lesser extent their heat maps) - alongside perusing openstreetmap/OS maps on bing - have helped me scout out better places to run, 'hills' to rep, loops to do a session on etc.
    Hey ba-ba, when I had to work down in Cambridge "ermmm..." years ago, Cambridge and Coleridge harriers were very friendly and welcoming to run with. Their Thursday night group knew some sneaky routes over fields etc I would never have found by myself (of course that was before Strava!). Ah I recall doing efforts on the bridge over the motorway because it was an incline!

Another fun thing is to run from Cambridge to Ely along the Cam all the way then get the train back (you could probably run back!).