Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Strava

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post

I don't like the way it rounds down though! If you run 9.99 miles it tells you it was 9.9, not 10! (and yes, I'm a bit OCD!)
    run a bit further.

But... But... If it isn't on Strava, did it happen?! 😉

I was running with another bloke on a pennine club run one evening and I asked him if he was on strava, he quite disparagingly said something like "I prefer a purest form or running". That left me wondering how my run with him on that beautful night on Kinder was not "pure" becasue I had a watch on my wrist that is pretty much ignored until I get home.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Trails&Tribulations View Post
    But... But... If it isn't on Strava, did it happen?! ��
    mmm.... Strava angst. That horrible feeling when you look at your watch to check your time and realise you've forgotten to press the record button.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    mmm.... Strava angst. That horrible feeling when you look at your watch to check your time and realise you've forgotten to press the record button.
    or forgot to re-start it after pausing it to have a wee.

Quote Originally Posted by benshep View Post
    or forgot to re-start it after pausing it to have a wee.
    I got my wee segment down to 23 seconds. 9th overall.
    When the fells call, they scream.

I did a race once only to find at the end I had paused my watch after 7 seconds so couldn't put it on strava. Good job I could see the results online or there would have been no point doing it!

Where I find it great is getting ideas for routes from looking at other runs. I had a few hours running the high peak marathon route back in the summer after using a firefox plugin that allowed me to download a very good gpx plot from strava. Put that on my Garmin eTrex and used that as a reference for a great day out. Done similar things with the Kinder Dozen, Kinder Killer and numerous other long day outs.
    Last edited by DrPatrickBarry; 31-08-2017 at 09:38 AM.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    Where I find it great is getting ideas for routes from looking at other runs. I had a few hours running the high peak marathon route back in the summer after using a firefox plugin that allowed me to download a very good gpx plot from strava. Put that on my Garmin eTrex and used that as a reference for a great day out. Done similar things with the Kinder Dozen, Kinder Killer and numerous other long day outs.
    I regularly do similar using memory map had some marvelous long days out on routes of my own making over terrain that I have some knowledge of from my interpretation of the map when plotting the route before downloading the GPX to gps for back up if I have any doubts with my memory and or map reading immensely satisfying.

Not really sure what strava is good for really.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Not really sure what strava is good for really.
    Given that it was originally a road cycling based virtual competition app/website it's probably best to view it in that light. Your mate runs/cycles segment x in a particular time so you can head out when you want and try and beat him My main use now is to log how much I've done. I'll do some of the monthly challenges and use them as a excuse to get out and do stuff - I'm currently being completely whupped by my wife on this month's climbing challenge though!
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back