Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tents/shelters for MM

Tents/shelters for MM

I fancy a MM at some point, so have been skillfully avoiding work by browsing gear online.

The ultralight tents that seem to be most popular (Terra Nova Lazer and, at the extreme, something like the Nordisk Lofoten 2(!)) don't really seem that much more substantial than a good quality bivvi bag. Does anyone use bivvi bags and a dry-bag for kit on the overnight camps in place of a 2-man tent, or is there some major disadvantage that I'm not seeing? It seems that the cost to weight ratio is in the bivvi bag's favour. I suppose that even a super small tent gives you space to hang out before bed if the weather is horrific, but if the weather is expected to be decent I'm not sure that matters too much.

rules will normally stipulate a tent with sewn-in groundsheet is required.
    For some summer MMs you may be able to get away with a bivvy, but definitely check with organisers beforehand.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Ah, fair enough! That would certainly explain things!

Also I would say that most MMs I have had my stove in the tent porch. Cooking outside may be an option on the Saunders, but I wouldn't fancy it on the OMM.

Me and a friend plan on doing the OMM for the first time next year. We are looking at tents and have some ideas on what we are going to go for.

We can find the rules on the standards required of the tent (sewn in ground sheet etc...) but can't find out if you must share a tent or not. Can you use 2 one man tents? Obviously there will be weight issues etc... but it'd be good to know before we fork out.

Quote Originally Posted by helix View Post
    We can find the rules on the standards required of the tent (sewn in ground sheet etc...) but can't find out if you must share a tent or not. Can you use 2 one man tents? Obviously there will be weight issues etc... but it'd be good to know before we fork out.
    There's no requirement to share a tent. Two one-man tents that both fit the sewn in ground sheet requirement would I am certain be fine... though as you say there are weight issues!
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

Quote Originally Posted by BillJ View Post
    There's no requirement to share a tent. Two one-man tents that both fit the sewn in ground sheet requirement would I am certain be fine... though as you say there are weight issues!
    Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by helix View Post
    Me and a friend plan on doing the OMM for the first time next year. We are looking at tents and have some ideas on what we are going to go for.

If you're on good terms with your running partner, and they have fairly good personal hygiene ( ) then two of you can usually squeeze into a so-called one-man tent particualrly as most MM are for one night only. My running partner and I (both 6 foot plus tall) fit into a Hilleberg Akto, top-to- tail, just fine. You can even leave the inner down while cooking, etc. or not bother with it at all (but it must be carried as it has the fitted ground sheet). Lighter tents are available.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    If you're on good terms with your running partner, and they have fairly good personal hygiene ( ) then two of you can usually squeeze into a so-called one-man tent particualrly as most MM are for one night only. My running partner and I (both 6 foot plus tall) fit into a Hilleberg Akto, top-to- tail, just fine. You can even leave the inner down while cooking, etc. or not bother with it at all (but it must be carried as it has the fitted ground sheet). Lighter tents are available.
    Thanks for the tips. Good to here how others approach this. The main things you find on line are generally about how to strip weight down to an absolute minimum with all your kit. As we are going be completing rather than competing spending big money on mega light stuff is not our priority.

yep, 2 people in a 1.5-man tent is the standard.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy