Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your race shoe of choice

Your race shoe of choice

So, you're doing Three Shires or Langdale and ground conditions are wet. What's your ideal shoe to wear for the race. Currently available shoes if possible please.

Banned
    Mudclaw

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Mudclaw

I'm currently rocking a pair of LA Sportiva Mutants... and as much as I love the durability and general overall quality of the Sportivas, I will most probably go back to Mudclaws next...

The last 2 years have been pretty wet (from ankle down at least!) and I wore a pretty brand spankers pair of X-talons (lightly worn in).
    They would have to be pretty new though (I keep a race pair for such occasions), coming off Blisco/Wet side edge in worn studs would be lively!
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Thanks for your recommendations. My problem is the precision fit inov8 shoes are a bit narrow for my messed up left foot. This limits what inov8s I can buy.

More suggestions welcome.

You could have a look at the Inov8 X-Claw 275.

It's sole/grip not quite as deep studs as Mudclaw, but still pretty aggressive, and it's standard fit, and also more cushioning than the Mudclaw.

https://www.inov-8.com/x-claw-275-me...g-shoes-black/

Master
    Some of the X-Talons are standard fit, so wider than Mudclaws - they are less cushioned than the X-claws, and also only 3mm drop, so take care unless you are used to low/zero drop shoes. Whilst the X-Talon studs are not as big as the Mudclaw studs, the grip seems much the same, perhaps as they are more flexible and bend around whatever they are gripping/slipping on.

I do think a lot of emphasis is placed on grip, over and above natural ability... if you can't descent, it doesn't matter if you're wearing mudclaws (for the record I descend like bambi on ice)..... surely the best descenders would probably throw themselves down the likes of Sail Beck and Corridor Route on ice skates...

Of course that doesn't account for confidence in your shoes which does make some effect... I know that on mudclaws I've most likely got the best of the best, and will then happily chuck myself down the most fearsome slope (I wish....)

But on account of the above points, on balance I'd get in the shops and see what fits best and is most comfortable, and decide for yourself.... (sorry for the terribly inconclusive verdict)

I'm a fair descender and can definitely tell the difference between good and bad grip, although this is mainly due to how worn the tread is. I rate mudclaw classics and X-talons, when looked after. I don't rate 'normal' mudclaws since they shaved the grip off. I should probably try Walsh at some point - last worn for year 7 XC in 2001 - but I have a stock of xtalons bought on the cheap.

Of course the best way to gain a bit is to go the right way and feel ace - last year 2 very good runners i was with took the 3 shires line off Blisco, unfortunatly (for them) this was during Langdale so I managed to sneak a champs race top 10!