Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Your race shoe of choice

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    There's only one iconic fell shoe and it ain't a Salomon
    Now Andrew don't put words in my mouth or Mr Salomon's: "monster grip on soft trail conditions/ technical trails/ technical trail running" etc.

OBVIOUSLY I agree with you that the best fell shoe is the Mudclaw but all I am saying is that the Salomon Speedcross has its place on the broad canvas off off-road running.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

It is interesting to note - purely from photographic evidence taken at races, I might add - that the Walsh PB Racer seems to be regaining some popularity once more.

As someone inclined towards correct spelling & to more modestly named shoes, I find it hard to wear a shoe with a brand name as frankly ridiculous as Inov8.

(Yes, after a lengthy posting hiatus, I felt this a worthwhile comeback...)

TBH I'm looking for a new race shoe. Mudclaws are a bit heavy and clumpy, x-talons are too thin-soled and bruise the bones in my feet. I tried Walshes years ago and they're too narrow - my feet went numb. Moremiles tend to fall apart.

I was hoping the x-claw 275 would work, but the heel cup is the wrong size/shape so rubs on the side of my ankles.

Who would have thought it would be so hard. Maybe I should bite the bullet and try some salomons or irocks for over £100.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Walshes for me. I started wearing them even before the pyramid stud was introduced (they had tried a "hedgehog" sole consisting of many small rubber spikes, but the grip wasn't so great). I just find them so comfortable: I suppose they are just the right shape for my feet. It wasn't many years before they were the only shoes I was wearing in any kind of race, whether fell, cross-country or orienteering.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Do Walsh still do 2 width fittings, can't remember the different names but I have wide feet and both Walsh and NB (RX Terrain) had wider models.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Altra are pretty wide fitting and they have the King MT model which is a fell shoe. Again, probably looking at around £100 (less any discount available).
    Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    TBH I'm looking for a new race shoe. Mudclaws are a bit heavy and clumpy, x-talons are too thin-soled and bruise the bones in my feet. I tried Walshes years ago and they're too narrow - my feet went numb. Moremiles tend to fall apart.

I was hoping the x-claw 275 would work, but the heel cup is the wrong size/shape so rubs on the side of my ankles.

Who would have thought it would be so hard. Maybe I should bite the bullet and try some salomons or irocks for over £100.

Thanks Ben - I wasn't aware of these. ~£100, but reduced from £130 !

I've ordered a pair of fellraisers - I'll see how they feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam W View Post

As someone inclined towards correct spelling & to more modestly named shoes, I find it hard to wear a shoe with a brand name as frankly ridiculous as Inov8.
    After a partially successful venture, into NBC suits and dust masks. Wayne, turned his hand to fell shoes

Quote Originally Posted by sbrt View Post
    After a partially successful venture, into NBC suits and dust masks. Wayne, turned his hand to fell shoes
    I make an allowance for deliberate mis-spelling of anything hardcore/jungle/UK garage related - mostly to prevent me purging my record collection.

After 4 years of More Mile Cheviots I have spent a bit more and got a pair of Mudclaw 300s as the cheviot 3s gave up the ghost after a couple of hundred km max. Still like the Cheviots but the price of the new model has been bumped up a bit so not the same bargain it used to be.