Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your race shoe of choice

Haven't raced in them yet but I'd say the new fluorescent mudclaw 300 are the best I've ever ran in! They give a lot of confidence on descents and have enough protection to run over rough ground with ease. You might think they look ugly but you feel like a pro when wearing them! 😉

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    I'm a fair descender and can definitely tell the difference between good and bad grip, although this is mainly due to how worn the tread is. I rate mudclaw classics and X-talons, when looked after. I don't rate 'normal' mudclaws since they shaved the grip off. I should probably try Walsh at some point - last worn for year 7 XC in 2001 - but I have a stock of xtalons bought on the cheap.

Of course the best way to gain a bit is to go the right way and feel ace - last year 2 very good runners i was with took the 3 shires line off Blisco, unfortunatly (for them) this was during Langdale so I managed to sneak a champs race top 10!
    Ba-ba out of interest, what do you wear for cross country? Spikes or Fell shoes? I know you're a good cross country runner so would be interested to know your opinion.

I've only used Fell shoes so far and found them fine (let's face it, at the nationals last year it was so muddy I don't think it mattered).

But this year I'll hopefully get a full season of cross country, so if there was a marked difference I could possibly justify going for spikes.

Spikes. Fell shoes get too clogged up.

Spikes would be so much lighter as well, plus the options of changing the spikes for the expected conditons.

I would say it depends on the course. Certainly down here in Hampshire, the ground for the October race is sometimes so dry that you could do it in road shoes. On the other hand, for the 2016 county championship I wanted the longest spikes I could find. Real disappointment was last season's race at Staunton Park (a venue that has hosted the Nationals in the distant past) - Park management restricted us to using gravel tracks - more like a parkrun than a XC!

Does anyone on here have any comparison between Mudclaws and the X-claw? My Mudclaw classics have finally fallen apart and I was going to buy a new pair but wondered if the X-claw offered similar grip but better comfort for long races?

in my opinion similar grip (maybe not quite as good - not sure); yes more cushion but in my view the extra cushion is not needed; and they don't seem to fit me as well as the mudclaw 265 do, the xclaw feel a bit sloppy around the top of the foot and ankle. plus they have a bigger heel to toe drop, which I'm not keen on. overall I'm a little bit disappointed with the x-claw.

Quote Originally Posted by Fellwalker View Post
    Does anyone on here have any comparison between Mudclaws and the X-claw? My Mudclaw classics have finally fallen apart and I was going to buy a new pair but wondered if the X-claw offered similar grip but better comfort for long races?

Super Moderator
    Mudclaws
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Mudclaw 300 classics are usually my shoe of choice even though the slightly rounded profile of the sole can sometimes cause the foot to roll, especially over traversing terrain e.g Sedbergh Hills.

I don't mind the new Mudclaw but the grip doesn't give me the same confidence whilst running down steep grass etc when compared to the classic mudclaw, however the foot plant feels more grounded.

Travs

I've worn Walshes during xc and quite like them, they don't really suit me on the fells though...too narrow a fit.

I've also thought about spikes but have heard they can take some getting use to and if not careful can bring on calve and achilles niggles.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Thanks Daz.

As someone who has had Achilles trouble in the past, that is definitely something to consider. To be honest I'm due a new pair of mudclaws so I'll probably give them a run out over the country this winter as well...