Thread: Improving on rough ground

Improving on rough ground

I'm not a bad road and trail runner, but put me on the fells and I suffer! 😂 It's not so much the hills - I include a decent amount of vertical in all of my running - but rough ground: even on the flat, heather and tussocks just kill my legs in no time at all.

Running isn't rocket science, and an/the obvious answer is "run on rough ground more, idiot". That aside, does anyone have any training/technique advice?

You could get a wobble cushion and start using it for 5mins a day every day for ankle stability. This is something that let me down early on, you need to make sure your ankle proprioception is good and keen. Pilates is good for your hip flexors too. Stability muscle groups need to be working well.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

One footed balance on a wobble board whilst catching a ball thrown by a toddler...

I think it might be the hip flexors at fault, as my knee lift all but disappeared. Will look into the wobble board and some Pilates-type stuff. Cheers.

Super Moderator
    Welcome to the forum T&T

Get a rolled up towel and try standing on that, on one leg. Then, when you get good at it close your eyes
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Trails&Tribulations View Post
    I think it might be the hip flexors at fault, as my knee lift all but disappeared. Will look into the wobble board and some Pilates-type stuff. Cheers.
    An effective knee lift is a big part of fell running, you need it to clear tussocks etc. Working on a strong knee drive during the middle phase of your stride helps this, if you're a heel striker this will almost certainly be a weak area. I have a neutral foot placement changed from a full heel strike, it's more economical and promotes good muscle recruitment.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Working the muscles that you need to use to hurdle heather/tussocks, as well as the aforementioned ballance strength exercises to strengthen ankles etc.

Glutes and quads (squats), hip flexor and core. Basically climbing muscles!

Practise hurdling/bashing heather, picking lines and 'floating' though bogs will of course help you improve.

Definitely sounds like I need to work on knee lift! A focus on the longer distances has left me with an "ultra shuffle"; efficient, but rubbish on fells...