Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Grumpy Old Person

The Grumpy Old Person

After a long time trying to hold this in, I can't anymore so here is a thread for like minded souls.
    As I approach the end of my 6th decade I am having to embrace my Grumpy Old Person.
    Nothing feeds this animal more than Soshull Meejah.
    If I see ONE MORE blummin eejit asking 'what shoes/bumbag/vest/enema is best', I shall...shall..explode in aged fury!!!

Rant here!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Welcome to the club

Oh, and the fact that I have to say Grumpy Old PERSON also really stokes my inner GOM!!!

But we can't risk upsetting Boy Wonder can we....or should that be 'Non-Female But Just As Good Gender' Wonder!

Lobs, ducks, waits.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

You're missing out on lots of opportunities to to give answers like "Walshes of course" and "it was harder in the olden days", and "when I raced against Billy Bland and Kenny Stuart" etc.

So true me old chum.
    In our day....there, said it!!!.....In our day the only choice was PB Racers or Trainers. The hard nuts went for the Racers and put up with stones savaging their feet through the thin but ever so tactile soles, the nancy-boys went for Trainers and revelled in the fluffy comfort but put up with tortured ankles as they fell off the towering mid soles. Easy. No run-to-mummy inquisitions on Book face.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    You're missing out on lots of opportunities to to give answers like "Walshes of course" and "it was harder in the olden days", and "when I raced against Billy Bland and Kenny Stuart" etc.
    Well I'm just relieved I have never become one of those people who think the FRA should be limited to 1000 members, that the Calendar went downhill once a single staple couldn't hold the sheets together, that all trail races are an abomination, that photographs (and in colour!) should not grace the pages of The Fellrunner which should still be produced in A5 size on a Gestetner and that any event outside the lakes or Yorkshire is nothing more than a puffed up gala race only suitable for children.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Well I'm just relieved I have never become one of those people who think the FRA should be limited to 1000 members, that the Calendar went downhill once a single staple couldn't hold the sheets together, that all trail races are an abomination, that photographs (and in colour!) should not grace the pages of The Fellrunner which should still be produced in A5 size on a Gestetner and that any event outside the lakes or Yorkshire is nothing more than a puffed up gala race only suitable for children.
    By Gum, Graham. How can a toff in Ilkley read my working class mind, here in Lancaster

Britta did a superb job of raising The Fellrunner to full 'coffee table' standard.
    But the old A5 editions did make you feel that you belonged to a rather elite but somewhat esoteric minority group; it was so good that we didn't need social media back then, The Fellrunner said it all.

And talking of Boy Wonder (and Toffer); he's been very 'under the radar' these past few months.

By the by; I am an old person (mid-way through my 7th decade) but not grumpy; it's all these trendy young upstarts who are so out of step with how to do things properly ....... all said very tongue in cheek!
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 08-09-2017 at 08:24 PM.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

can I be a grumpy young man (nearing end of 3rd decade)? I joined the fell runner FB page then left within a couple of hours it irritated me so, and have now left farcebook altogether.

Parkclaw? Isn't that those tyre shredders they have to stop you driving the wrong way into a carpark?
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

My heart is warmed by the early adoption of GOM-ness by our fellow Ba Ba. You'll go far old chap!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth