Thread: Durham Fellrunning

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Durham Fellrunning

Hi

My brother has recently moved to Durham and is running again.

He's is talking of finding a marathon to enter whereas I, of course,want to persuade him that the way to enlightenment is via the fells.

Which running clubs in or nearby to Durham are Fell friendly and are there any recommended races that will convince him about the greatness of fell running??

I've just looked in the calendar and there doesn't look to be many races close by.

Thank you

Durham Fell Runners would be the obvious choice. Train at Hamsterley Forest. 👍

Thanks. Just had a look. Their website looks good. Will pass it on.

Pretty sure I've seen a few Elvet Striders around too, and they do the road/XC side of things.

Hi,

DFR unofficial representative here, yes we usually meet 7pm Thursdays at the main car park in Hamsterley Forest. Next to the toilets / bike hire place. These session are generally 90mins, 9 - 12km ish... a bit extra is usually an option. We're a friendly bunch, if you are on Facebook probably best to have a look at our group.

Thursday nights are pretty accommodating, we have people who are new to the fells through to those competing at the business end of races, sessions usually adapted to suit all who turn up. Anyone welcome without obligation for a couple of sessions to see if it suits them.

Looking forward to seeing your brother there!

Thanks a lot. I will pass the details on.