Thread: Grand Raid Pyrenees

Grand Raid Pyrenees

Hi

Anyone done the ultra before?

If so - how well marked is the route and is it well supported re aid stations etc

Recommend it?

Quote Originally Posted by luxinterior View Post
    Hi

Anyone done the ultra before?

If so - how well marked is the route and is it well supported re aid stations etc

Recommend it?
    Karen Nash recently posted to the RunFurther FB page about this - "Fantastic race, would really recommend it to anyone. If you want more info let me know" https://www.facebook.com/groups/354970015195/
    Totley AC

Quote Originally Posted by MarkClayton View Post
    Karen Nash recently posted to the RunFurther FB page about this - "Fantastic race, would really recommend it to anyone. If you want more info let me know" https://www.facebook.com/groups/354970015195/
    Mark, it's a great race (well several actually). Usually there is 160, 120, and 80km races. This year to celebrate their 10th birthday they also had a 40km, an event that was a series of different races over several days and the 160 became a 220km ( actually gales forced it to be 186km in the end)smaller numbers too, only 800 allowed in the longest race so not so many crowds at food stations, quieter on the trail and fewer continental men pushing poles up your nose! Trails are a bit more rugged than UTMB I think and the overall climb is greater.
    It is well Way marked in addition to the online maps and French written road book. There are plenty of food stations, water and even places to sleep.
    The village that organises it is very small but there is plenty of accomodation in the valley. It is a reasonable price, you do not need idea points and the longest race does not fill up and the 80 and 120 don't fill up in the first few days etc. Free parking in local fields where many sleep in camper vans. Huge free closing buffet at end. No huge commercial sponsors so my 3rd lady prizes were - New Balance finishers hoody, session at local thermal spa, two nights Band B up the valley next year, jubilant sunglasses and a big bag of local produce. Have been twice now.
    Last edited by karen nash; 13-09-2017 at 08:12 AM.

Thanks Karen - sounds great

I was looking at other races and saw the South Wales 100 and your name on the entry list

Did you do it? If so how was it?

Thanks Karen - sounds great

I was looking at other races and saw the South Wales 100 and your name on the entry list
    I'm initially looking at the Pembrokeshire 100 for May next year, although I know nothing about the race, except it's in a beautiful part of the world, and being a coast path I expect it will more difficult than suspected.

Have never done a 100 mile before, so waiting to see how my 24hr race goes in November before making any rash decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I'm initially looking at the Pembrokeshire 100 for May next year, although I know nothing about the race, except it's in a beautiful part of the world, and being a coast path I expect it will more difficult than suspected.

Have never done a 100 mile before, so waiting to see how my 24hr race goes in November before making any rash decisions.

My aim was to do Ronda Del Cims next year - but now the date isn't going to work for me and I will need another qualifying race next year to enter in 2019! I looked at the Pembroke race but doubt it has enough ascent to satisfy the Ronda entry requirements. Don't think too much about entering and being ready for 100 miler - just do it and believe

My aim was to do Ronda Del Cims next year - but now the date isn't going to work for me and I will need another qualifying race next year to enter in 2019! I looked at the Pembroke race but doubt it has enough ascent to satisfy the Ronda entry requirements. Don't think too much about entering and being ready for 100 miler - just do it and believe
    To be honest I quite agree with you, and am not overly worried about the distance. More the after-effects of doing such a long race just before the fell racing season really gets into overdrive...! Given that it took me 4 weeks to recover from the 10 Peaks which was 'only' 45 miles (although the 18000ft of climb probably had a massive effect!)

Yes. New race only two years old but very good organisation. Tough race and some tricky navigation tho. Starts at Harlequins rugby club area in Cardiff and then heads N/NW up to mountains. At storey arms the 50 milers start after a bus ride. Both routes head e along the tops to Talybont area then back S to Cardiff. Lots of steep ups and downs on the way with all the s teep narrow Welsh valleys. Good food at end. Campervans and tents on site.