Thread: Roc Mountain Marathon

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Roc Mountain Marathon

So who is in this year?

Near Black Combe this year. An area I know nothing about, looks pretty rolling and grassy but not much to nav off? If clag is down then may be interesting. Maybe a bit too runnable for me to do well. Last year was perfect for me (bogs, tussocks, mud).

Sadly I am pretty much already packed and ready with my kit all sorted. Wife broke my spork so thats 4 grams saved. I have punctured my air mat, so that's 300 grams saved. Aim to be near 4.5kg as a solo competitor.

Obviously I will panic the week before and weigh every item I own to shave off a further 2 grams from somewhere.

I'll be there too.
    The SLMM was in that area a few years ago. There was less climb than normal but bogs and fewer paths meant it wasn't as runnable as you fear AJF!
    I remember some intricate knoll detail; but less enjoyable was a long long section through chest high bracken.
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

You had a storming first day last year Bill. I was just behind you in standings. What happened on day 2?

Good to hear its not too runnable, something to slow the racing snakes down a touch.

Quote Originally Posted by AJF View Post
    You had a storming first day last year Bill. I was just behind you in standings. What happened on day 2?
    Thanks, you were going well too!
    My partner John had taken a tumble halfway through the first day. He twisted as he fell and then landed on a rock in the small of his back.
    He got through the rest of the day OK, but it seized up in the night. We went to a couple of controls on the second day and then just walked back.
    Such a shame, but that's the risk when running at pace over tussocky ground with hidden boulders.
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"