Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Finding A Dead Body

'always suspect the joggers (runners) and dog walkers, they're always the ones that find the bodies'

I know of an orienteering mapper who, whilst mapping a forest in S Wales, came across the remains of someone who had hung themselves. They'd been missing for a year, so it wasn't initially obvious they were human remains.

All in all pretty grim and hope it never happens to me. Hope you're recovering well and well done for talking about it, as much to remind us that this could happen as to get it off your chest!
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

That's why I deliberated about posting. I didn't want to be accused of a "glory" posting or something that might be deemed a bit too macabre. But I discussed it with a friend & thought fell running stories, good & bad, need to be heard. I definitely prefer the good!

Super Moderator
    You did right posting Jez
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Jez Hellewell View Post
    That's why I deliberated about posting. I didn't want to be accused of a "glory" posting or something that might be deemed a bit too macabre. But I discussed it with a friend & thought fell running stories, good & bad, need to be heard. I definitely prefer the good!
    stop glory hunting, Jez! ever since I told you about the time I happened upon a sparrow with a broken wing you've been trying to top it!

Good post Jez, definitely seek help if only to chat, feel free to give me a call as I've been there too, I found a guy on a tanky reccie years ago, it was reported on the forum so it will be on here some where.

I too can still remember his face but it doesn't bother me now. I've recovered others since but I was looking for them so its not got that shock factor.

Well done for being conscientious and well prepared but a reminder to all. the guy is dead and you aren't so don't put your self at risk..if you were getting cold seek shelter the police will under stand.

secondly until proven otherwise it is a crime scene so avoid moving anything other than to check for Signs of life and create a cordon if possible.

Trav get your self booked on the FRA first aid course!! dead is one thing but had he been unconscious you would need to know what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Good post Jez, definitely seek help if only to chat, feel free to give me a call as I've been there too, I found a guy on a tanky reccie years ago, it was reported on the forum so it will be on here some where.

I too can still remember his face but it doesn't bother me now. I've recovered others since but I was looking for them so its not got that shock factor.

Well done for being conscientious and well prepared but a reminder to all. the guy is dead and you aren't so don't put your self at risk..if you were getting cold seek shelter the police will under stand.

secondly until proven otherwise it is a crime scene so avoid moving anything other than to check for Signs of life and create a cordon if possible.

Trav get your self booked on the FRA first aid course!! dead is one thing but had he been unconscious you would need to know what to do.
    Thanks Ian. Leaving the body, unfortunatel, wasn't an option as the police asked me to wait there & keep people away from it. Nobody did pass though as it is fairly remote.

Banned
    Counselling is a wonderful thing that helps in all sorts of ways.
    Worth looking into Jez.