Thread: Help with a training plan

Help with a training plan

First a bit of background...
    I'm fast approaching 40, and prior to my first fell race in June, I hadn't run competitively since my school days. That's not to say that I haven't kept in some semblance of shape - I cycle, go to the gym and jog, but all without any real long term plan.
    I've six races under my belt now, and I've two real targets - one, to get up the field (my aim so far has been to beat the last 10%, but I want to work to mid-table), two, to build up stamina to take on an AM/AL or endurance style race. I've been dropping some of the gym sessions in favour of more running, in order to get to more of a runners physique - I'm 5 10 and was tipping the scales at 14st 10 on my first race. After yesterdays Stanage Struggle I was exactly a stone lighter.
    I've read plenty of threads on here/other sites but would appreciate any input on how I might achieve these goals, particularly from anyone who has undertaken a similar endeavour, and in a manner that I can work around a wife and two young kids!
    Thanks.

Hello mountainsloth...

I'm far from a qualified expert, but my two-penneth as follows...

Firstly it depends how much actual time/days you have in which to train.

Secondly, my strong opinion is not to completely throw out all of the gym work. I'm lucky/sad/stupid enough to train pretty much every day, and at the moment only 3 of those days will be solely dedicated to running, either club nights or long weekend run. The other 4 days are gym sessions (which will include a treadmill session or cross-training) incorporating strength work and core work. The 'runners physique' will come from diet as much as type of training (if anything diet is probably a bigger factor in your weight than training is).

But yes, increased mileage will help. But don't complicate it too much. You will be surprised how far an increase in just steady running can get you. Once you've got a good base (whatever your interpretation of that may be), then can look at putting faster sessions in.

Finally, for your ultimate goal of an AM/AL, you will need to get used to the constant barrage of ascending and descending. Regular racing and training in the hills are surely the best option. I do a lot of steep treadmill work due to living far from the fells.

I await someone with the actual real knowledge to blow my opinions out of the water. But my thoughts above are based on a vaguely similar situation to yourself (I was relatively new to fellrunning, from a background in fellwalking and competing at a good level in a different sport, and was inspired to run the AL races). That was two years ago when I started, and I'm now running about 15 races a year, 75% of those being AL's or long-distance type fell events (with varying degrees of success and failure).

Pete

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Basically what Travs says should get you fit enough to be higher up the field and also see you through an AM/AL.
    Not sure where you are based but if you have access to hills, drop some of the gym sessions in favour of a run but keep up the core/strength work. Hill reps or at least any run with reasonable amount of ascent and descent preferably twice a week. A fast focussed 30-45 minute effort and a longer slow one 1.5 hours are what I would go for to start off. Focus on quality not quantity. Aim for 75-80% max effort and don't over do it - save that for race day. And don't increase weekly distance/ascent more than 10% week on week.
    If you are still cycling, again incorporating as many hills as possible will help no-end. If you are struggling with time due to family etc. try including this as part of your daily routine. Can you commute to work etc?
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Master
    Running - some fast, some long/slowish. Ideally 4 days a week. Don't turn into a one pace runner.

Strength and conditioning - keep this up or even increase it, ideally each hour of running is matched with an hour of S+C. A huge percentage of runners is injured at any given time, and a lot of this can be prevented.

Stretching - dynamic, yes; static, no.

But you probably know all this!

Do some of your training with others, ideally join a club. Getting dragged round in training by faster runners is easier than trying to make yourself run faster when alone.
    John McIntosh
    Rossendale Harriers

Thanks all for the input.
    I think joining a club would be the ideal way to go, but I struggle to commit to regular days/times. That said, I do need some kind of structure - looking at my mapmyrun and workout data, I think I've been guilty of just going through the motions for too long. My problem is working out what that structure should look like for a competitive runner, rather than someone who is just aiming to be in shape.

Quote Originally Posted by mountainsloth View Post
    Thanks all for the input.
    I think joining a club would be the ideal way to go, but I struggle to commit to regular days/times. That said, I do need some kind of structure - looking at my mapmyrun and workout data, I think I've been guilty of just going through the motions for too long. My problem is working out what that structure should look like for a competitive runner, rather than someone who is just aiming to be in shape.
    club: don't worry about turning up every week, you'll be made welcome anyway. you will also meet others who you can run with on non-club nights too. Good luck.
    John McIntosh
    Rossendale Harriers