Thread: Llanberis running routes

Llanberis running routes

Good morning all,

My name is Gareth Little and I am a member of The Dublin/Wicklow Mountain Rescue Team, which is based in Leinster, Ireland.

Myself and the rest of the team will be traveling over to Llanberis on Sep 29th to Oct 1st for a training weekend.

There are a few keen fell runners on the team and I was wondering if anyone here could suggest a few nice routes in the area. Something along the likes of 7-10 miles

We will be based out of Bryn Du (www.boulderadventures.co.uk/accommodation.html) and are looking to do a few hours of a run on the Saturday.

Many thanks in advance

Gareth
    gareth dot little at dwmrt dot ie

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    For that distance, you couldn't do much better than the Half Peris race route: 8.5 miles, with 4500 feet of climbing, over Elidir Fawr, Y Garn and Glyder Fawr. That's the first half of the Peris Horseshoe route, shown here: http://home.fellrunningroutes.org.uk...PerisHorseshoe; except I think the ascent of Elidir Fawr is now different from that map, going further along the Dinorwig road (at around 300m altitude) and then climbing up to the left of the quarries rather than all those zigzags through the quarries. Take £1.50 each for the bus back from Pen-y-Pass to Llanberis (which runs about once an hour).
    Last edited by anthonykay; 19-09-2017 at 11:39 AM.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

The other lovely run is the Moel Eilio race route. You could hook up with the local club, Eryri. Someone is bound to offer you a few runs!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Master
    A nice route is llanberis path to Snowdon Summit. Then go to Cryb Y Ddysgl, Moel Cryngorian, Foel Goch, Moel Elio and back into Llanberis. Very runnable.

Quote Originally Posted by Corniceman View Post
    A nice route is llanberis path to Snowdon Summit. Then go to Cryb Y Ddysgl, Moel Cryngorian, Foel Goch, Moel Elio and back into Llanberis. Very runnable.
    Was actually about to suggest this as well. Potentially in the opposite direction as well, depending on he time/day of the run, to avoid the worst of the crowds on the Llanberis path.

You could also take the Moel Elio ridge in ascent up to Snowdon, then return back in the same direction down the Snowdon Ranger Path, and shortly before you get back to the foot of Moel Cynghorion you can drop off to the right, down into Cwm Brywnog and down into the valley back towards Llanberis. This would be a very quiet return.

Hi Gareth Pat here (John Barry's brother). If you have access to a car, a short journey over to capel curig gives you loads of options on the Carneddau and Glyders ranges.

Hi folks,

Firstly, many thanks for all your suggestions above. I did manage to get up early on Saturday and had a lovely run up Snowdon.

Unfortunately however, a bit later on that morning, our team was meet with a tragic accident on Crib Goch which resulted in the loss of one of our dear colleagues. The support we received from the local mountain rescue teams, coast guard unit, police and all of the locals was just immense and very comforting at this sad time for us.

This is will certainly not be the last time our team will visit the lovely Snowdonia mountain range so perhaps the next time, some of us can arrange an informal run with some of you guys.

Thanks and happy running

Gareth

Gareth, so sad to hear about the tragic loss of your colleague. What a shock.
    It's a salutary reminder that the ridge holds danger even for the best equipped and prepared.
    So sorry for all his family and friends.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth