Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hokas

Hokas

Anybody tried them? There's a few good deals on them at present and I'm looking for some new shoes, bit bothered about looking like a 70s throwback and also turning an ankle , I tend to run a mix of fields, roads and fell in training and so bod around in road shoes, dirty road shoes , be interested in folks thoughts on sizing as well, I like my shoes nailed on tight.

Super Moderator
    Hokas . . . 70's . . . Mud ~ perfect
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I use the Clifton's for training on roads and dry trails. Only 5mm drop and good support /cushioning. The look clumpy but are really lightweight. I wouldn't race in them but for a good training shoe I rate them. I'm a size 9, hoka's are 9.5.

Quote Originally Posted by Fellrunner1975 View Post
    I use the Clifton's for training on roads and dry trails. Only 5mm drop and good support /cushioning. The look clumpy but are really lightweight. I wouldn't race in them but for a good training shoe I rate them. I'm a size 9, hoka's are 9.5.
    Thanks for that I'm in 4 alternating pairs of Lunarfly at the minute which I found at 15 quid a pair in an outlet, it's amazing that the hokas come in at a similar weight, I really hate 'clumpy' shoes, you say you're a 9 do you usually use the half size up rule?? I like my shoes tight at first and let 'em stretch a bit, I can't stand any movement around the toe box.

The 9's were too small width and length. Defo half size up. Adidas are really small fitting so I go a full size up for them.

I really like them for long distances off road. I wouldn't choose them for a category A race, but they're perfect as a cushioned shoe that's very stable (contrary to appearances). At the moment I'm even wearing them over shorter distances as I'm coming back from injury and need more shock-absorption than a low profile fell shoe can provide. I seem to recall reading that Steve Birkinshaw chose them for his Lakeland epic, although he switched to Inov-8s for the very roughest and steepest terrain.

They are a Marmite shoe though - some people really hate them!

I get on really well with the Hoka Speedgoats and wore them throughout the Dragons Back Race this year. The uppers aren't super durable, but a coating of 'seamgrip' works wonders to prolong their life. Fit-wise, I find the speedgoats the same as Salomons, though I previously had a pair of Hoka Mafate which I found quite short in the toe, so suspect fit may differ a bit between different Hoka models. n.b. SportsPursuit have some good deals on Speedgoat on just now.

Hoka Challenger ATR 2 have been excellent on trails and roads for me. I did Haworth Hobble in them this year and they were a good choice for it.

sizing - yes, go up a half size.

What size are you? I have some Clifton 3 (10.5s) I’d let you have for £30, if you’re interested? Strava tells me they’ve done 439km (270 ish miles); plenty of cushioning left in them and in very good nick, really.

I do see why people like them, I just prefer minimalist to maximalist (and I think they may have been partly responsible for an Achilles issue I had, but that’ll be down to my weird biomechanics!). Also had to go up a half size from my usual Inov8 sizing.