Thread: Being realistic!

Being realistic!

Dear all,
    I am looking at attempting the BGR in a couple of years following a few years of the usual should I/shouldn't I!

I'm a fell runner who takes part in the regular fell racers around Yorkshire and also comfortable at marathon distance (the max I've run) and took part in some Lakeland fell racers recently (Rydal Round,Grisedale Horseshoe).

I appreciate the training and commitment necessary however do I really need to be an ultra marathon runner if I want to contemplate the BGR? Or as stated above with the correct training, commitment etc. can a standard fell runner make a realistic attempt?

My apologies, I'm sure this has been answered a thousand times before on this forum but it is something that has been niggling away at me as I contemplate the BGR.

Thanks in advance.

Luke

Quote Originally Posted by lukew View Post
    Dear all,
    I am looking at attempting the BGR in a couple of years following a few years of the usual should I/shouldn't I!

I'm a fell runner who takes part in the regular fell racers around Yorkshire and also comfortable at marathon distance (the max I've run) and took part in some Lakeland fell racers recently (Rydal Round,Grisedale Horseshoe).

I appreciate the training and commitment necessary however do I really need to be an ultra marathon runner if I want to contemplate the BGR? Or as stated above with the correct training, commitment etc. can a standard fell runner make a realistic attempt?

My apologies, I'm sure this has been answered a thousand times before on this forum but it is something that has been niggling away at me as I contemplate the BGR.

Thanks in advance.

Luke
    IMO, anyone physically able to run / hike, and that wants to do it enough, can.

Super Moderator
    There are people who are either too slow or simply underestimate the commitment but there aren't that many. I am no fell racer (bottom 15% of field) but I did it. A love of the hills and a burning desire will often trump a fast marathon time at the BG
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lukew View Post
    Dear all,

Thanks in advance.

Luke
    I really think successfully doing a BG has nothing to do with being capable of running marathons, being good at long fell races or even being an ultra runner. Although some very successful completers will have done all of those, many completers will not have. I did the round and a few other similar things purely by training for long 'plodding days out'. I soon became experienced enough to know that once able to plod successfully for 10 hours or so and could climb 10000 feet comfortably, I could do a 24 hr round. Above 10-12 hours it begins to become mind over matter. Learn to climb well, eat well and you'll be fine. Good luck to you. Oh, why wait two years. You have plenty of time to nail it next summer.
    Last edited by Corniceman; 04-10-2017 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Typos

Thanks chaps,
    Appreciate you comments, put my mind at ease (think next summer might be beyond me Corniceman but will keep my eye on it!).

Luke, whereabouts in Yorkshire do you reside? A good 'tester' is to park at Storrs Common ( top side of Ingleton), then traverse Ingleborough to Chapel-le-Dale, Whernside to the S portal of the Bleamoor tunnel, turn round and retrace over Whernside and Ingleborough. Gives you 4x 2000(ish) feet of ascent.
    I did that several times when preparing for my JNLC - the ascent & descent is more crucial than the distance.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    A good 'tester' is to park at Storrs Common ( top side of Ingleton), then traverse Ingleborough to Chapel-le-Dale, Whernside to the S portal of the Bleamoor tunnel, turn round and retrace over Whernside and Ingleborough. Gives you 4x 2000(ish) feet of ascent.
    Thanks for that! I'm in Yorkshire and looking to get some hilly routes in (had already assumed it would have to be days out doing the Y3P route...)

Luke, where are you based as I'm looking at an attempt next year and keen to get out on some long hilly runs.

Super Moderator
    There are some decent climbs on Otley Chevin. I did loads of mid-week "filler" on Ilkley Moor too. 5 x 550 ft with a head-torch is a great way to send a Tuesday evening
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Luke, whereabouts in Yorkshire do you reside? A good 'tester' is to park at Storrs Common ( top side of Ingleton), then traverse Ingleborough to Chapel-le-Dale, Whernside to the S portal of the Bleamoor tunnel, turn round and retrace over Whernside and Ingleborough. Gives you 4x 2000(ish) feet of ascent.
    I did that several times when preparing for my JNLC - the ascent & descent is more crucial than the distance.
    I'm over in Barnoldswick so I use Pendle Hill, Weets etc. for any hill training I do, however thanks for the suggestion, I will give it a go as I step up the training and look for some variety.

Outdoors Junkie
    "Thanks for that! I'm in Yorkshire and looking to get some hilly routes in (had already assumed it would have to be days out doing the Y3P route...)

Luke, where are you based as I'm looking at an attempt next year and keen to get out on some long hilly runs."

I live in Barnoldswick (near Skipton), so have plenty of hills around but will be heading over to Y3P area after xmas as I step up training (thinking of BGR attempt in 2019) and look for some variety. I'll also probably be looking starting a few reccy visits up the Lakes early next year. Could tie up on a few if available.