Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning smelly shoes

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire

Cleaning smelly shoes

Help!!!

My commuting cycling shoes have developed a terrible stench after I used them for a bit of a XC adventure a couple of weekends ago. They had been fine for over 12 months but now stink like cat p1$$ - well 10 week old cat p1$$ that's been kept somewhere warm to be exact.
    I have rinsed them, washed with bio detergent, disinfected and then rinsed twice. Sprayed with shoe deodoriser but they still really smell.
    My current crop of running shoes (inov-8 & Salomon) are nowhere near as bad. They just get a rinsed with cold water and seem fine. The only ones I had a similar issue with, were Mizuno wave harriers - always went the same way after a while so not sure if it is a certain material that develops this pong or maybe that and a combination of something agricultural I cycled/ran through.

Anyway, as I have to store said shoes at work during the day, I really could do with a solution if only for my colleagues benefit. Any ideas, other than buy new shoes?
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Get a pair of old socks, fill them with cat litter, and stuff the shoes with them. (Seriously). Will absorb any moisture that’s lingering and should have deodorising properties.

Nike trainers often go the way of cat's piss.
    Apparently its the glue.
    not much to be done about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trails&Tribulations View Post
    Get a pair of old socks, fill them with cat litter, and stuff the shoes with them. (Seriously). Will absorb any moisture that’s lingering and should have deodorising properties.
    Tried something similar on the Mizunos - seemed to help a bit in the short term but the pong only came back again. Thankfully the shoes wore out not long after that and went in the bin. Unfortunately cycling shoes don't get the same rate of attrition as fell running ones. May give it a go anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by andy k View Post
    Nike trainers often go the way of cat's piss.
    Apparently its the glue.
    not much to be done about it.
    Mmm....thought as much. I had 2 pairs of the mizuno wave harriers and the same thing befell both of them. Has to be something in the materials that causes the odour. Just wondering what triggers it - there has to be some environmental factor other than just getting wet and my sweaty feet!

Super Moderator
    Freezing them is said to help. I reckon once your trainers are 'ripe' that's it. I'm terrible for slipping mine no socks for a walk and pretty soon they're minging
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I've noticed that for years with the Wave Harriers and have simply been blaming the cat. Now I realise I owe the little fella an apology.
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

Soak them in diluted Milton bleach. Then air dry until bone dry.
    Cat litter or rice is an interesting thought

Thanks for the replies.
    In the end I soaked them for 24 hours in dettol solution, then rinsed them and left to dry naturally. Still have a faint wiff but nowhere near as bad. Will be getting some new ones for Christmas methinks

Tea bags. pop a couple in each