Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nettles

Some good info here: http://qi.com/infocloud/nettles

Interesting.

P.S. We live in an age of hyperbole. Richard is an awesome journalist-fell runner.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Some good info here: http://qi.com/infocloud/nettles
    It mentions "increase circulation", but doesn't say whether this is done by being stung or drinking nettle infusion. I'm no wiser.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Super Moderator
    Either Yorkshire tea or selected hops, infused in Pennine water, are what you should be drinking
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Either Yorkshire tea or selected hops, infused in Pennine water, are what you should be drinking
    I assure you that my wife insists that our morning brew is Yorkshire tea.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Super Moderator
    You just need the Tim Taylors Ram Tam, or Ilkley Mary Jane, or Goose Eye Chinook of an evening and you'll be getting there . . .
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Master
    The transition period between the mud season and the nettle season has been rather short this year. Indeed, following this morning's rain, I ended today's run with both nettle-rash and muddy socks.
    Jorge Luis Borges

I had a mug of nettle (and ginger) tea yesterday. It was quite nice actually. Didn't give me a sore throat either.

I'm awake late with tingly legs from an onslaught of hundreds of the buggers earlier in the day.
    My grandad many years ago had stinging therapy around an ankle injury 50 years after sustaining it in the war. He swore by it (and probably during!), and it did increase mobility immediately following a dose.

Master
    I have let some corners of my garden go wild, and I have just noticed a couple of nettles there that must be 7 feet tall!
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    There is a comment in Richard Askwith's Running free about nettles stimulating the blood circulation. If this is true, I get my circulation stimulated at some point on most of my training runs between May and October. No, I'm not deliberately indulging in some kind of self-flagellation; it just happens that many of the otherwise excellent paths that I use for my runs have short stretches where they are encroached on by nettles. But does anyone on the forum have any definitive information about the effect of nettle stings on circulation?
    I seem to recall reading somewhere that North American indigenous people (on the east coast) would rub stinging nettles into their calves when they became fatigued while running long distances (the horse only arrived as a means of transport after the Europeans colonised the place). Sorry, I can't find the original source and a quick online search hasn't revealed anything. They certainly inject some speed into my pace
    Am Yisrael Chai