Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Tour de France 2018

Quote Originally Posted by CL View Post
    And forumites don't get me started on Killian Jornet. That needs a thread all on it's own.

CL

??? Well if you post it then I'll read it.

GB
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    CL

??? Well if you post it then I'll read it.

GB
    Graham I recognise brilliance and Kilian is brilliant. BUT that wasn't a Man running it was a machine. This BG record raises serious issues. How did he do it? How did he take an hour off Mr Bland's time when a few months earlier he had a broken leg? Why did he show very little sign of fatigue after starting off with such a scorching pace?

Now if Kilian or his Soloman sponsors are reading this and he or they want to come on and tell us he didn't use blood doping, EPO or other performance enhancing drugs to crush Bland's record then I'll be glad to hear it. But if he did then the spirit with which the BG record was set 36 years ago has been destroyed for good. It'll mean anyone going for a serious attempt on the record will have to dope to approach it.

That's all.
    Last edited by CL; 12-07-2018 at 08:51 PM.

Graham I recognise brilliance and Kilian is brilliant. BUT that wasn't a Man running it was a machine. This BG record raises serious issues. How did he do it? How did he take an hour off Mr Bland's time when a few months earlier he had a broken leg? Why did he show very little sign of fatigue after starting off with such a scorching pace?

Now if Kilian or his Soloman sponsors are reading this and he or they want to come on and tell us he didn't use blood doping, EPO or other performance enhancing drugs to crush Bland's record then I'll be glad to hear it. But if he did then the spirit with which the BG record was set 36 years ago has been destroyed for good. It'll mean anyone going for a serious attempt on the record will have to dope to approach it.

That's all.
    Thanks.

I wouldn't know... but Billy was a builder who did some fellrunning and Kilian is a world class athlete whose profession is racing and is pampered to do just that by Salomon and who can benefit from all the advances of the past 36 years (kit, food, medical advice etc) and who, on the day, was paced by some of the best fell runners around.

In any athletic field the gap between the amateur and the professional is immense (as others have pointed out on this Forum) and it would have been staggering if Kilian had not lowered the record by a significant amount - which he actually did by (only) 7+%. I understand all the excitement and hoopla about Billy's record being broken but Billy lowered the previous record by around three times as much as Kilian - but then that was in TGOD before social media.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 12-07-2018 at 10:46 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Thanks.

In any athletic field the gap between the amateur and the professional is immense (as others have pointed out on this Forum) .
    I’m glad you’ve said that Graham. Always the voice of common sense.

I couldn’t understand all the people arguing that there wasn’t any difference between people who are paid to run whenever and wherever they want ...compared to people who get home at six o’clock after a hard day at work and then have to train in the dark and rain all winter.

As for CL I’m surprised it took you four days. 😂

Master
    Thanks.

I wouldn't know... but Billy was a builder who did some fellrunning and Kilian is a world class athlete whose profession is racing and is pampered to do just that by Salomon and who can benefit from all the advances of the past 36 years (kit, food, medical advice etc) and who, on the day, was paced by some of the best fell runners around.

In any athletic field the gap between the amateur and the professional is immense (as others have pointed out on this Forum) and it would have been staggering if Kilian had not lowered the record by a significant amount - which he actually did by (only) 7+%. I understand all the excitement and hoopla about Billy's record being broken but Billy lowered the previous record by around three times as much as Kilian - but then that was in TGOD before social media.
    Graham you haven't thought it through. Bland was an athlete who could compete on the fells with men who could run 2.11 marathons. Now you might say "big deal men can now run 2.02 for the marathon," but all the evidence suggests that this is being done through EPO abuse, asthma medications and more.2.11 for clean athletes is world class.

What about diet and clothing? Again you overstate their importance. Were the shorts,vests and running shoes worn 40 years ago much different to today. Of course not. And wasn't carbo loading understood and practised by athletes 40 years ago? Of course it was.

This guy has a broken leg one minute is running a mountain marathon the next and a few days later is smashing the BG. It doesn't sit well with my instincts.

Master
    Another thing. Has Kilian been drug tested in the past six months? If he hasn't why not? And if he isn't subject to a governing body then his Solomon sponsors should be getting him tested. It's in their interests to do so. If they want us to buy their stuff off his achievements then they should make sure he's properly tested. I say the same about Inov-8 and other manufacturers. If you want to sponsor champions then get them tested. It would help their profiles no end. They've got the money to do it so get it done.

If Soloman knows full well this Kilian fellah is tearing up the mountains of Europe and climbing Everest without oxygen then they should realise that suspicion will follow and get him tested prior. And not the sort of testing the Kenyans do I.E. ringing their athletes the day before the tester is due. I mean proper testing. Soloman could have done that in Kilian's case and published the results but they haven't. And the question is why not?

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Another thing. Has Kilian been drug tested in the past six months? If he hasn't why not? And if he isn't subject to a governing body then his Solomon sponsors should be getting him tested. It's in their interests to do so. If they want us to buy their stuff off his achievements then they should make sure he's properly tested. I say the same about Inov-8 and other manufacturers. If you want to sponsor champions then get them tested. It would help their profiles no end. They've got the money to do it so get it done.

If Soloman knows full well this Kilian fellah is tearing up the mountains of Europe and climbing Everest without oxygen then they should realise that suspicion will follow and get him tested prior. And not the sort of testing the Kenyans do I.E. ringing their athletes the day before the tester is due. I mean proper testing. Soloman could have done that in Kilian's case and published the results but they haven't. And the question is why not?
    I suggest you read the article in my post #75 on the BG thread.

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...-attempt/page8
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    I suggest you read the article in my post #75 on the BG thread.

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...-attempt/page8
    Thanks for that Pete S. As I stated earlier I'm not saying he isn't a good runner. But good runners still dope. I have an article for you of which the first paragraph is the best:

'Over the past few years, rumours have swirled in ultrarunning circles about how some frequent podium finishers seem so resilient to the endless, hard, mountain miles.'

https://www.outsideonline.com/210343...-trail-running

Master
    Actually I have to take back some of my criticism of Solomon. I believe they did publicise a doping program for their athletes in 2017. Well done to them for that. But saying it and doing are entirely different things. Again we need to know the details and so far I can't find any to satisfy.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Back on topic, can't say I'm enjoying this year's tour so much apart from Sagan's antics and a fine stage win for a Brummie.
    I'm hoping it all kicks off on the pave tomorrow.