Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Tour de France 2018

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Back on topic, can't say I'm enjoying this year's tour so much apart from Sagan's antics and a fine stage win for a Brummie.

Nah. It's worth it to see Cavendish humbled, particularly with Sagan doing so well - as he can when not thrown out of the Tour through someone's spiteful, vindictive and unjustified accusation to cover up his own stupidity.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Nah. It's worth it to see Cavendish humbled, particularly with Sagan doing so well - as he can when not thrown out of the Tour through someone's spiteful, vindictive and unjustified accusation to cover up his own stupidity.
    Cavendish, is and always has been an arrogant fool, he is also now clearly past his best.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Agreed, I think Cavendish's finer years are way gone. Good to see the next generation stamping their authority in the final, though the gorilla Greipel still seems to be in the mix at the moment.

Banned
    Great stage today. Excellent racing.

Agreed, I think Cavendish's finer years are way gone. Good to see the next generation stamping their authority in the final, though the gorilla Greipel still seems to be in the mix at the moment.
    I really like Cav and always have. I totally agree though that his best years are now gone. Not his athletic and bike riding ability but his nerve. Maybe with his little one he now sees his own mortality and would like to live to see his child grow up. That is not a bad thing it's just as it is. MrRTS was a free climber until the girls were born then he saw life as a little more precious :-)
    He makes a great commentator so he needs to look at that career now. (Cav that is not MrRTS)

Quote Originally Posted by RaceTheSweeper View Post
    I really like Cav and always have. I totally agree though that his best years are now gone. Not his athletic and bike riding ability but his nerve. Maybe with his little one he now sees his own mortality and would like to live to see his child grow up. That is not a bad thing it's just as it is. MrRTS was a free climber until the girls were born then he saw life as a little more precious :-)
    He makes a great commentator so he needs to look at that career now. (Cav that is not MrRTS)
    Cavendish has always been reckless and prone to blame others when things go wrong - until this Tour when even he is having to face that he is old, slow and tactically lacking. In a recent interview he explained why he didn't contest the Green Jersey these days - "they have changed the rules". Well he has only ever won one. Zabel won six, Sagan has five already and is on his way to his sixth.

Because he is from these islands he gets far more attention than he deserves - but that is OK - it is what one would expect from British journalists who are mindful of their readers. But what I find offensive is the reporting of his aspiration to equal (or better) Merckx's record of 34 Tour Stage Wins.

Cavendish - protected by his team throughout the stage and brought to the last couple of hundred meters to start work for 15 seconds to win a sprint.

Merckx - simply the greatest road cyclist who has ever lived - or will ever live.

I don't know how Cavendish has the gall to even speak his name.

Banned
    Cav had the manors to give big John a pat and well done when he won today.

Nice touch.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Wow. What a race today. Certainly livened things up a bit though really felt sorry for Romaine Bardet.

Wow. What a race today. Certainly livened things up a bit though really felt sorry for Romaine Bardet.
    Well the poor guy has the expectations of his country on his shoulders which have been growing since 1985. No wonder he gave his all.

Banned
    Well done G.
    That was certainly an impressive ride and into yellow too.