Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 61 to 69 of 69

Thread: Tour de France 2018

  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Back on topic, can't say I'm enjoying this year's tour so much apart from Sagan's antics and a fine stage win for a Brummie.

    Nah. It's worth it to see Cavendish humbled, particularly with Sagan doing so well - as he can when not thrown out of the Tour through someone's spiteful, vindictive and unjustified accusation to cover up his own stupidity.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

  2. #62
    Senior Member Daletownrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Out Running
    Posts
    638
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Nah. It's worth it to see Cavendish humbled, particularly with Sagan doing so well - as he can when not thrown out of the Tour through someone's spiteful, vindictive and unjustified accusation to cover up his own stupidity.
    Cavendish, is and always has been an arrogant fool, he is also now clearly past his best.

  3. #63
    Senior Member PeteS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Mostly Worcestershire
    Posts
    879
    Agreed, I think Cavendish's finer years are way gone. Good to see the next generation stamping their authority in the final, though the gorilla Greipel still seems to be in the mix at the moment.

  4. #64
    Master Stagger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Its a secret!
    Posts
    8,900
    Great stage today. Excellent racing.

  5. #65
    Senior Member RaceTheSweeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Flagg Derbyshire
    Posts
    898
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Agreed, I think Cavendish's finer years are way gone. Good to see the next generation stamping their authority in the final, though the gorilla Greipel still seems to be in the mix at the moment.
    I really like Cav and always have. I totally agree though that his best years are now gone. Not his athletic and bike riding ability but his nerve. Maybe with his little one he now sees his own mortality and would like to live to see his child grow up. That is not a bad thing it's just as it is. MrRTS was a free climber until the girls were born then he saw life as a little more precious :-)
    He makes a great commentator so he needs to look at that career now. (Cav that is not MrRTS)

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by RaceTheSweeper View Post
    I really like Cav and always have. I totally agree though that his best years are now gone. Not his athletic and bike riding ability but his nerve. Maybe with his little one he now sees his own mortality and would like to live to see his child grow up. That is not a bad thing it's just as it is. MrRTS was a free climber until the girls were born then he saw life as a little more precious :-)
    He makes a great commentator so he needs to look at that career now. (Cav that is not MrRTS)
    Cavendish has always been reckless and prone to blame others when things go wrong - until this Tour when even he is having to face that he is old, slow and tactically lacking. In a recent interview he explained why he didn't contest the Green Jersey these days - "they have changed the rules". Well he has only ever won one. Zabel won six, Sagan has five already and is on his way to his sixth.

    Because he is from these islands he gets far more attention than he deserves - but that is OK - it is what one would expect from British journalists who are mindful of their readers. But what I find offensive is the reporting of his aspiration to equal (or better) Merckx's record of 34 Tour Stage Wins.

    Cavendish - protected by his team throughout the stage and brought to the last couple of hundred meters to start work for 15 seconds to win a sprint.

    Merckx - simply the greatest road cyclist who has ever lived - or will ever live.

    I don't know how Cavendish has the gall to even speak his name.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

  7. #67
    Master Stagger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Its a secret!
    Posts
    8,900
    Cav had the manors to give big John a pat and well done when he won today.

    Nice touch.

  8. #68
    Senior Member PeteS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Mostly Worcestershire
    Posts
    879
    Wow. What a race today. Certainly livened things up a bit though really felt sorry for Romaine Bardet.

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Wow. What a race today. Certainly livened things up a bit though really felt sorry for Romaine Bardet.
    Well the poor guy has the expectations of his country on his shoulders which have been growing since 1985. No wonder he gave his all.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •