Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Tour de France 2018

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Just watched today's highlights. I think on those final few kms, we confirmed what we knew all along, that Froome's the leader of team Sky no matter what you hear at any press conference.

Well I sincerely hope G goes on and finishes the job and if Roglic and Quintana have any podium aspirations, they must surely attack Froome on Friday.

Allez G!

And as suspected, the grid start was completely pointless.

Super Moderator
    It ain’t over til it’s over . . .

Yep - sadly reminded of that tonight. Wife off to Paris for a long weekend with daughter 2, supposedly unaware that it was the final day of the tour. Admittedly booked in January.
    I will be watching ITV4 with the dog....

Master
    Froome has clearly been a bit off the pace in the last 2 mountain stages. He has clearly worked extremely hard in the last few months. I must say I find myself asking if a triamcinolone injection a couple of days ago - for hay fever - would have helped?

My housemate is a rheumatology registrar who regularly doses people up with triamcinolone - patients, not cyclists.
    Interestingly, he says that looking at the way it works, he doesn't quite see how it can have the effect it is supposed to when abused in cyclists (fat stripping and weight loss without power loss).

Just an interesting counterpoint to what has previously been suggested (along the lines of 'it made me feel a million dollars' from Millar[?], Rasmussen and the like).
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Super Moderator
    Testosterone and a load of whizz might have given him a better ‘gee up’

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Testosterone and a load of whizz might have given him a better ‘gee up’
    GT is on Brains bitter + laver bread and cockles for breakfast. Seems to work fine

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    My housemate is a rheumatology registrar who regularly doses people up with triamcinolone - patients, not cyclists.
    Interestingly, he says that looking at the way it works, he doesn't quite see how it can have the effect it is supposed to when abused in cyclists (fat stripping and weight loss without power loss).

Just an interesting counterpoint to what has previously been suggested (along the lines of 'it made me feel a million dollars' from Millar[?], Rasmussen and the like).
    If you have been training/racing hard for weeks/months, your muscles and associated tissues will be inflamed and swollen - so your weight will be up because of the fluid associated with this. Triamcinolone will quickly settle the inflammation and the fluid will be lost - so power to weight ratio will improve, and that soreness/stiffness/tiredness in the muscles will evaporate. This only works when used infrequently. If used continuously, all sorts of disadvantageous side effects will accumulate that would impair performance.

Not sure what the Welsh is for hat but Chapeau, G!

Banned
    Aye, Chapeau G.