Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tour de France 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    Very interesting. Of course I don't expect that will cut much ice with the lynch mob on here. Froome is guilty, they just know so and don't need to bother with tiresome things like evidence and due process.
    For me the evidence is that he's consistently beating lots of drug cheats. As I said with Armstrong when certain notables on here were saying he wasn't a cheat (you know who you are), Froome is either superhuman or he's also cheating. I know we'd all like to think he's just that good, but it doesn't work like that.

Banned
    TV coverage in the UK of the 21-stage race on both ITV4 and Eurosport, right through to the finish line at the Champs-Elysees in Paris on Sunday 29th July.

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    Having listened to the most recent Cycling Podcast episode, it appears that 56% of people who get an AAF for salbutemol don't have a case brought against them, so Froome is just about in the minority. What the total number is I don't know, so maybe the test does yield increased AAF hits in non-swimmers.
    They seem to cover it fairly even handedly, even going into how much of a david WADA really is against sporting goliaths. There's also an interesting chat with Jonathan Vaugters (ex US postal in the Armstrong days, now head of Slipstream/Education first team) on all matters doping, dope testing etc. then vs. now. Well worth a listen https://thecyclingpodcast.com/podcas...two-episode-23
    I thought the podcast was excellent, as usual. In particular, I thought it was interesting to hear why salbutamol is banned at those levels. It's because it becomes a steroid for muscle building, rather than a turbo boost to breathing.

On WADA as David. I once heard someone say that the numbers on WADA's funding are not quite representative because they devolve a lot of work to national bodies with different sources of income. However, I doubt that would take it much nearer Nike's global daily turnover!

Banned
    Froome doing a bit of green today

Master
    Interesting podcast - over 3,000 AAFs per year - all sports - 56%, after initial investigations, go no further - so Froome is in the "majority". As to salbutamol being a muscle builder/fat sparer only at high doses - it will do it at all doses, but the effect at low doses will be subtle, but potentially a "marginal gain".

Super Moderator
    He’s not relying on an asmatic’s inhaler is he? The lad will be on the good gear

There is an interesting article in today's Sunday Times written by David Walsh. He states that WADA "has unpublished research in its possession that clearly demonstrates its anti-doping regulations regarding Salbutamol don't work. More than that, they are likely to produce false positives".

The Salbutamol threshold use by WADA was based on research on athletes in one-day competition. They hadn't worked out what happens in multi day events such as the grand tours. WADA commissioned a research group from Denmark to look at the effects of Salbutamol use over a number of days. The group allowed 20 participants to take eight puffs (the permitted limit) on five consecutive days. Seven of them recorded levels above the 1,200ng/ml threshold and one was as high as 3,000.

Froome's Salbutamol recorded levels during last year's Veulta were all over the place and there were some occasions when it was zero. The test has been demonstrated to be not fit for purpose and it is this more than any submission by Froome's legal team that led to him being cleared. Waksh expects WADA to change their rules on Salbutamol.

Walsh says "I cannot blame those who voice their disapproval of Chris Froome because I know him well and also doubted him. It was a judgement call I now regret." Walsh by the way was the journalist who was the most dogged in pursuing Armstrong for years when few others were interested.

Banned
    Sagan was impressive today.

Master
    Five times winner Bernard Hinault tells the riders to strike against Froome. Then the tour organisers say Froome is unwelcome. The next day or so and feeling under pressure in the final week before the tour the UCI clears him. It smells to me like a chumocratic decision because they didn't want a drawn out legal fight even though they could have won.

So Muddy and Wheeze are telling us the test is unfit for purpose. Wheeze says it was based on swimmers and so has no relationship to cyclists who are dehydrated from five hour stages. Yet he doesn't consider that Froome has ridden tens of 5+ hour stages and yet never exceeded the threshold for Salbutamol never mind doubled it. He also forgets that over the years loads of asthmatics have competed in the tour with only around three exceeding the threshold.

So the test seemed to have been reliable until of course the top rider in the world fails it. Then its not fit for purpose. It's a stitch up. The UCI bottled it. And forumites don't get me started on Kilian Jornet. That needs a thread all on it's own.
    Last edited by CL; 12-07-2018 at 08:51 PM. Reason: clarity

Super Moderator
    What’s he on Chris? Fly pie? Snecky? Battered sausages?