Thread: Retired fell runner

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill

Retired fell runner

What do fell runners do when they retire? Go cycling in distant lands, it appears.

There is a short piece in the "Travellers' tales" section of the latest Cycle magazine about a cycle tour from Chengdu to Phnom Penh. The author's name looked familiar: Hugh Symonds. There was a URL given for more information: https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/...id=18779&v=22Y . Yes, it is indeed the same Hugh Symonds who made such an impact on the fell running scene in the 1980's, and went for a little run over the 3000-foot peaks of Britain.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Super Moderator
    Billy Bland is decent on a bike too isn't he? I'm sure he not adverse to knocking out a few Fred Wittons
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Billy Bland is decent on a bike too isn't he? I'm sure he not adverse to knocking out a few Fred Wittons
    Last year I cycled the road legs of Joss' 80th birthday jaunt (Caldbeck to Wasdale). Billy was with us from the Blencathra Centre through Keswick to Littletown; he was telling me that in 2015 he did 750x out & back over Honister!! And he was on course for a similar total in 2016. That's an average of twice per day, Rosthwaite to Buttermere return, in addition to all the sportives etc that he rides. The week after Joss' jaunt, Billy was off to the continent for a week's cycling.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!