Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cross Country 2017/18

Cheers, I was pleasantly surprised, although as I say it was quite a fast course for cross country I thought. By comparison last week I went through 3km in about 12:30ish, although that was a 6km leg.

Also saw Colin Donnelly in the results for Cambuslang, 2nd v55 I believe. At least I can say I've got within 45 seconds of one of the all-time fell running greats!!

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Also saw Colin Donnelly in the results for Cambuslang, 2nd v55 I believe. At least I can say I've got within 45 seconds of one of the all-time fell running greats!!
    I was nearly a minute ahead of Jeff Norman at the Curbar Commotion race three weeks ago. I don't recall ever previously beating a former British Fell Running Champion (although it was called "Fell Runner of the Year" when he won it).
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I was nearly a minute ahead of Jeff Norman at the Curbar Commotion race three weeks ago. I don't recall ever previously beating a former British Fell Running Champion (although it was called "Fell Runner of the Year" when he won it).
    Very good but perhaps he was still a bit tired from his unique six consecutive Three Peaks Race victories.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

...when i got heavily into Muay Thai my running picked up again as it was needed as part of traditional fight build-up, to maintain weight and cardio fitness, as well as sprints. here i am a couple of years later with fell running as my main passion and after joining a club it's the natural thing for me to get back to the cross country.
    Funny, I had a similar experience... I was crap at all sports at school (always last in XC!), but then got into kickboxing as a teenager and started running as cross-training. Got my black belt etc, but eventually decided I actually enjoyed running more than getting punched in the face. So, now I run; clearly I'm a lover not a fighter(!)

NEHL started last weekend in September. Had to miss the two October fixtures but looking forward to Aykley Heads in November. Will be my first season racing.
    Ben Heathcote
    Tynedale Harriers & AC

Cheers Travs. It was short and sharp! Colin Donnelly was the quickest M55 last year, so is slipping! Best leg by a fell runner though was maybe Jason Williams of Calder/Hermitage who went sub-10 and just missed the gold on the last leg.

It's the National XC Relays this weekend, and we are sending at least one team up I believe.

However I need to be elsewhere on Saturday evening so can't make it. Instead I'm running in the annual Warwick University XC Relays, which I've never heard of, but I understand is a bit of a curtain-raiser for the season for some of the Cov & Warks clubs. It's a little bit more informal, with the opportunity to run multiple legs and even for more than one team, and the legs are again short at 3.2km, so just going to turn up and see what materialises. Particularly as I've been suffering a heavy cold this week, struggled through training on Tuesday, and not done anything since.

God luck to those at the nationals...

It's the National XC Relays this weekend, and we are sending at least one team up I believe.
    Buxton AC have 3 women's Teams and 2 Men's Teams. I have been banging on about it all week to make sure everyone turns up. I'm 2nd reserve and would like it to stay that way! Pompoms and cheering at the ready :-)

Did the Warwick Uni XC Relays today. 2 mile legs. Such were the complications of getting 3 teams of 4 out, including a women's team, from a total of about 9 people, meant I ran two legs for different Godiva teams.

Ran the opening leg in 12:08 and was I think 10th on the leg, then ran the final leg in 12:31

Due to the mish-mash of teams we didn't have an "a" team as such, which probably prevented a top ten finish, but really it was about getting those that wanted it, a good run out. Quite a decent standard at the front, some decent university teams turned up, as well as a good turnout from local clubs.

Still not full xc conditions, despite the rainfall last night and this morning, another fast course.

Good luck to RTS and all those at the national relays today.

1st B'ham league fixture next week, although I'm ducking out and saving myself for a (hopefully) decent run at the Roaches on the Sunday.

organising an XC relays to clash with the National XC relays is a bit short-sighted.
    OK day out at Mansfield today. Saw a handful of fell runners.

Do miss racing in the Brum league, good standard. No XC until Jan now. Bit of road though (sorry)...
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

KCAC managed a men's team at the National Relays. Made-up of parents of junior team members. I really enjoyed it. It was a good, compact set-up. Although difficult to see the incoming runner from the start line. I ended up thrashing the first lap just to get warm because I'd been in the pen too long. So the 2nd lap was a hanging-on job. Same old story Bit like when I race to the top in a fell race.

But good to see XC in good health based on the number of teams there.