Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cross Country 2017/18

Quote Originally Posted by Quosh View Post
    KCAC managed a men's team at the National Relays. Made-up of parents of junior team members. I really enjoyed it. It was a good, compact set-up. Although difficult to see the incoming runner from the start line. I ended up thrashing the first lap just to get warm because I'd been in the pen too long. So the 2nd lap was a hanging-on job. Same old story Bit like when I race to the top in a fell race.

But good to see XC in good health based on the number of teams there.

You must be benefitting from your children's genes... which reminds me that in the boot of my car I have a small amount of alcohol for you as a token of your success in a previous "thrash".
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

I didn't realise the great genetic arrow of time worked in reverse.

Thanks Graham. That must be from the Incline. Well, given the usual quality of your 'ride' I suspect the prize will remain in good condition. But please feel free to drink it. Or use it in the kitchen. Services to fell-running etc.

First Birmingham Div 1 league fixture today in Cheltenham. I ducked out in order to stay fresh for the Roaches tomorrow. Sadly an ear infection means I'm now doing neither...!

That's bad luck Travs, I missed out on the national relay champs at Mansfield and the Dovedale Dash last weekend due to a freak sickness bug, but kick started my xc season at the North Mids league in Corby today. Anyone else there?
    Do what you like, like what you do

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    What is not to love about XC? Boring courses around the sides of playing fields.

Having said that, there are also plenty of good XC courses around. Curiously, most of the best ones that I have run are just outside London: Coulsdon, Hayes (Kent), Trent Park, Epping Forest.
    A fantastic course at a new venue for this week's Hampshire XC league - 390 m of ascent in the men's race. For a league which mainly consists of running around playing fields this was quite a change!
    Last edited by gej; 13-11-2017 at 10:31 AM.

Good luck to all competing this weekend. We've got Birmingham League up at Stoke-on-Trent. Looks like it could well be a cold one.

The course profile indicates it may be reasonably hilly for an xc course. So obviously all my club mates are anticipating my meteoric rise to a fantastic placing on Saturday, when I actually suspect I'll be firmly in the bottom half.

Tough xc course up at Stoke-on-Trent today in the B'ham Div 1. A reasonable amount of hills (I am informed that they usually like to keep the div 1 courses flatter and faster, so this was a bit of a change).

Having ran 2/3rds of the course in the warmup I had a rough idea what was coming, so made use of the downhill start to establish a decent position, but still was getting held up on the steeper sections. Also went well on the climbs, but generally lost places on the flat.

Don't know if GazB was there for Wolves&Bilston, but if so, I would guess you had a good run on this course as well?

Was still happy to finish 161st. On a flat course I couldn't see myself getting in the top 200 so I guess it suited me. I managed to take a scalp or two against my club mates, but again, this wouldn't happen on a flat course.

sadly I'll be missing the next league fixture as I'll be at Marsden-Edale. I think the next one for me will be the Warwickshire Champs at the start of January.

I'd also mention that our best runner went out into the country park for a warmup and then got lost and missed the race..!
    Last edited by Travs; 02-12-2017 at 08:35 PM.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I'd also mention that our best runner went out into the country park for a warmup and then got lost and missed the race..!
    He's obviously a great fell-running talent.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Hi Travs. Well done. Conditions were pretty awful. I was 95th. So-so. I know the course extremely well from North Staffs xc races and from training on it. But I'm still terrible up hills, not compensated nearly enough by my descending. Will Neill, of the fellrunners competing, had a great run in 16th.