Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Cross Country 2017/18

Hi Gaz... I just saw the results, you destroyed me by about 3 and a half minutes...!

It was the flat sections that did the damage for me!

Watched the coverage of the European cross-country yesterday. There's no doubt they are fantastic athletes, but surely somewhere in Europe they could find something that resembles a "proper" cross country course.... Man-made obstacles and short grass don't really equate to a testing course in my view...

Great Britain did well as always. The mixed relay was very interesting, though maybe they should allow the men and women to run in whatever order they like, similar to in the swimming.... would make it very unpredictable!

Back in action tomorrow at the Warwickshire Champs. 10km. Should be a good test, feeling reasonably good after a solid amount of training over xmas, but not done any real speed work.

A fair few fell runners scattered through the Yorkshire's start list.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

A good tough race today in cold conditions. About 280 lined up on the start, of which I finished about 120th, and 45th master (of around 125), 39:19 for 10km.

Was a good course for those that like the hills, with a fairly sapping climb right near the start, and a vaguely technical downhill through some dark muddy woods. Obviously I'd have preferred a lot more hills, as I made up much time on the ups and downs, and predictably dropped back on the flatter sections. Started to hit my rhythm by the 3rd lap (of 4), unfortunately we were already 20 minutes in by then!

A good day for the club, as we were U17, U20 and Men's champions. My masters team were down in 8th with a slightly depleted team, but in all honesty we'd probably only be looking at top 6 at best with a full strength team. I did feel a little more pressure on the final lap to hold my position, as I expected to therefore be a counter, and indeed I was 2nd of 4 counters. In the league fixtures I'm way off being a counter, usually making up part of the 'b' team score.

Next weeks B'ham league fixture is back at the same venue. Unfortunately I'll be AWOL at Marsden-Edale.

Hope everyone who competed in their respective county champs had a good day today...

Pete

I'm definitely getting slower (not that I was ever that fast) - got lapped by the winner on Saturday. A club mate who happened to be spectating just after this point shouted "well done Graham - you're in second place".

Cross country enthusiasts might be aware there's a petition/campaign to equalise the distances that men and women run at XC in England - for anyone interested there's a group petitioning ECCA and this article explains some of the thinking behind different options for equalisation.

Midlands Champs at Woollaton Park in Nottingham on Saturday, 12km.

Looking forward to it, but raced there a year ago in the nationals in my first xc race for nearly 20 years, and had an absolute mare. If it's anything like last year it'll be a tough course and very heavy going.

Different section of the park used for the Midlands compared to the National. It'l still have fast and boggy sections though.

Northerns at Harewood House on Sat. 2 big laps of a new venue so not too sure what to expect, the OS map shows a couple draggy hills but don't know much else.

Apparently it's a dry run for next year's National.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by mountainringlet View Post
    Cross country enthusiasts might be aware there's a petition/campaign to equalise the distances that men and women run at XC in England - for anyone interested there's a group petitioning ECCA and this article explains some of the thinking behind different options for equalisation.
    It's the thin end of the wedge. Next you'll be asking for equality in pay and rights...

Imagine the outcry if someone tried to organise a women's fell race that didn't go to the summit, but the men's did.