Thread: Heart Rate Monitor Help

Heart Rate Monitor Help

Fell runners have the answer for everything, so I need some help please. My recently inserted pacemaker and AV node removal has made any chest strap device obsolete when cycling or running. A wrist monitor would do, but with only one hand, I'd be a bit limited trying to use it. Would a wrist monitor work on my short arm? ps CatEye Stealth 50 will be open to offers if I get sorted!
    A circular route mostly downhill

Quote Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
    Fell runners have the answer for everything, so I need some help please. My recently inserted pacemaker and AV node removal has made any chest strap device obsolete when cycling or running. A wrist monitor would do, but with only one hand, I'd be a bit limited trying to use it. Would a wrist monitor work on my short arm? ps CatEye Stealth 50 will be open to offers if I get sorted!
    I'd go direct to manufacturer Chris, they may even do a specific sensor.

Thanks Ian, I've put a couple of requests out, nothing so far!

Polar do an optical arm strap that can be worn on forearm or upper arm.

If you want to see the HR data as you exercise then you need to pair it with a phone ( Polar app ) or a bluetooth enabled Polar wrist device or cycle computer.

If you just want to analyse the data after exercise, it has an internal memory that can store 200 hours worth of data, so can look on phone etc afterwards

https://www.polar.com/uk-en/products...rt-rate-sensor

Not used this myself, just read about it
    Last edited by Yaks; 25-10-2017 at 05:07 PM.

Many thanks Yaks, I'll have a look, it might be just what I need!

I'm using a polar OH1 optical arm band which is great.

The band is elastic, small and light, so you get a good connection to your arm without having to crank it on really tight, and the battery life is about 10hrs. It can record data on it's own, or transmit to your watch if the watch is bluetooth (older Garmins are not generally).

Side by side with my chest strap it had pretty good agreement on heart rate, but a bit more lag in response to sudden changes in effort, so if you were using it for short interval training on a track it might not be as good as a chest strap, but for longer efforts then it is great.

Compared to an optical watch it is much better - I find that the watches are inaccurate unless they are cynched uncomfortably tight. No such problems with this.

I do wish that the battery life was a touch longer for ultras, but it lasts for a 50 miler so it's good for 90% of what I do and you could always recharge it (or carry 2 - they are super light) for longer efforts.