Thread: Knee arthroscopy recovery

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Knee arthroscopy recovery

I've not done much running since the spring due to persistent knee pain. I had an MRI scan which showed cartilage damage behind the kneecap. 11 days ago I had a knee arthroscopy, which hopefully will alleviate the problem. I was released the same day and was able to walk (stiffly) without crutches.

On the day of my operation the physio told me that it is likely to be about six weeks before I can do any running. I'm certainly minded to follow that advice as it would be foolish to set myself back.

Over the summer I did a lot of road cycling to make up for the fact that I couldn't run. I'd like to get back into that as soon as possible really and was thinking of trying it out next weekend. This would be 16/17 days post op. At the moment I can walk around normally without any pain.

I wondered what other people'e experiences in terms of recovery time were for this operation.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    As with recovery from any op/injury, you are best to take this slowly and not rush things.
    I had a double arthroscopy many years ago, and was out of action completely for 2 weeks after which some gentle walking was OK.
    At 4 weeks, I could cycle to physio - nothing major approximately 5 miles. Was back to running as normal within 2 months but to be a fair, it wasn't on the fells - just local trails back then and no racing.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    I've not done much running since the spring due to persistent knee pain. I had an MRI scan which showed cartilage damage behind the kneecap. 11 days ago I had a knee arthroscopy, which hopefully will alleviate the problem. I was released the same day and was able to walk (stiffly) without crutches.

On the day of my operation the physio told me that it is likely to be about six weeks before I can do any running. I'm certainly minded to follow that advice as it would be foolish to set myself back.

Over the summer I did a lot of road cycling to make up for the fact that I couldn't run. I'd like to get back into that as soon as possible really and was thinking of trying it out next weekend. This would be 16/17 days post op. At the moment I can walk around normally without any pain.

I wondered what other people'e experiences in terms of recovery time were for this operation.
    My advice would be to see a physio regularly (ie privately. It costs money but it will be worth it if your running really matters) so he can monitor your recovery and advise. I came back via cycling but eg I was told not to "stand" on the pedals too early. Your cartilage wear might be because of a gait imbalance and this might need addressing (I changed my insoles) or an imbalance between the musculature of your legs - I used a rowing machine. One quick answer is not the best advice.

Surgeons only advise on what they know and always err on the side of caution. I took time coming back and I have since run over 400 fell races since my surgeon advised me (in writing) to never do a fell race again!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Thanks both.

Graham, it is interesting what you said about possible gait imbalance because when the physio got me walking after the operation, she suggested I might have poor bio mechanics. Six years ago I found out that I had Hallux Limitus in my big toe. I saw a very good podiatrist at the time and he made me some insoles. They were very effective and I use them all the time, not just when running. In fact so effective that I actually don't notice I have the problem in summer. The worry is I suppose that they may have helped one problem but caused another. I am due to see the physio on the 9th so will bring it up.

Re cycling a friend has said that I can use her turbo trainer, so will try that first on a high cadence before going out on the road.

With regards to cycling, don't get over ambitious. Stay on the small chainwheel and a large sprocket. High gears will only put pressure on your joints.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Had my first pyhsio appointment this morning, exactly three weeks since the operation. Think I am progressing quite well. The physio told me I'm ok to cycle now, in fact he encouraged it. No running for another three weeks though. My right quad (the one relating to the bad knee) has deteriorated markedly compared to the left one so that is something that needs building up.