Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timber framed house

Timber framed house

A house we are interested in buying, here in northern Germany, is constructed with a timber frame, "scandinavian style" as the agent put it.

From the look, outside or inside, you can't tell is not bricks and mortar.
    I am rather disturbed by the facts that 1) neither the vendor nor the agent mentioned it, I learnt it by pure chance from a common friend, and 2) although the house is only 1yr old they want to sell already (the owner occupier is a pro musician, and they complain about a buzz in the house, it appeared very silent when we viewed it on a Sat afternoon).

After a little of Google research, I now wonder about 1) the future resale value, 2) and the natural danger like rot and termites.
    I am not scared by the risk of fire.

Any of you has real knowledge about the pros and cons of wooden house compared to bricks and mortar?
    Thanks,

PS I posted this same question elsewhere, apologies if you see it twice.

I have no knowledge whatsoever. How long do wooden houses last in Scandinavia? I'm surprised you're worried about it - my assumption is that northern Europeans know a fair amount about building wooden houses and they wouldn't do it if there was a chance that the house would rot (even within 20-30 years).

my house is timbered framed. it was built in 1969. I bought it in 2014. seems to be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    I have no knowledge whatsoever. How long do wooden houses last in Scandinavia? I'm surprised you're worried about it - my assumption is that northern Europeans know a fair amount about building wooden houses and they wouldn't do it if there was a chance that the house would rot (even within 20-30 years).

The thing to remember is that these Scandinavian style houses are not timber houses .... they are timber FRAMED houses.

Once the timber frame is in-situ and supporting the roof, the concrete block walls are then built between the timber uprights.

A clubmate built such a house, maybe 12 - 13 years ago.

Also, bear in mind that such construction is very popular on the W coast of Ireland and NW Scotland. They take a right old battering from the Atlantic gales, with impunity. Not to mention OTT insulation in the cavities.
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 01-11-2017 at 09:45 PM.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

sorry I was not clear at first.
    Iin this house not only the frame is timber, the whole house is.

aahh, that's a different thing then. I'd ask a house-builder or structural engineer rather than fell-runners if it were me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambatte View Post

Quote Originally Posted by benshep View Post
    aahh, that's a different thing then. I'd ask a house-builder or structural engineer rather than fell-runners if it were me.
    Pah. Haven't we had enough of experts?

What can a supposed "expert" tell Gambatte about the leaking water pipe or the poorly installed damp proof course after years of training and having done a full site survey that we can't just by sitting on our computers. And what makes these "experts" right? Just because they have qualifications and went to university for years studying relevant subjects and passing exams testing their competence, doesn't mean they know any more than you or I.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Pah. Haven't we had enough of experts?

What can a supposed "expert" tell Gambatte about the leaking water pipe or the poorly installed damp proof course after years of training and having done a full site survey that we can't just by sitting on our computers. And what makes these "experts" right? Just because they have qualifications and went to university for years studying relevant subjects and passing exams testing their competence, doesn't mean they know any more than you or I.
    I suppose the forum should offer its services to banks for surveys for mortgages? Seems a faultless idea

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambatte View Post
    At Greensted in Essex there is a church built of wood. It was built in about 1060 (before William came conquering); good, long-lasting stuff, this timber.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    At Greensted in Essex there is a church built of wood. It was built in about 1060 (before William came conquering); good, long-lasting stuff, this timber.
    Absolutely fine.

But how about future resale value? No, I'm not planning to buy as an investement, but who know one day I maybe want to move, or if I pass away my children will inherit it etc etc...
    If Average Joe sees the wooden house as "less good", right or wrong that he is, the market value is less. This is a big unknown that gives me thoughts, at least...