Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Demise of forums

Demise of forums

Was reading an interesting piece by John Simister in Practical Classics about the steady demise of car club forums (fora??) as people flock to Facebook. He cites the familiar problems with Facebook of a lack of cataloging and search facilities for the treasure trove of information that people post. Valuable nuggets of information are lost in the daily deluge of new posts that bury them out of sight.

This forum is no stranger to declining use but lets hope that people soon realise that it deserves support.

If admin lose interest, its gone forever!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

It would be a sad day if our inane ramblings were lost to future generations.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    It would be a sad day if our inane ramblings were lost to future generations.

Mmmh. I have been reflecting (as I often do) about change, technology, memory, the whole damn thing... and in particular about Letters to the Fellrunner.

"What?" I hear you expostulate young Noel. Well once upon a time there were such things and from illustrious people too. The first ever "letters page" in Fellrunner no 2 contained the thoughts of luminaries such as Bill Smith and Mike Davies.

"Who are they? you might say "I've never seen their views on facebook or the FRA Forum".

Indeed.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 06-11-2017 at 01:57 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Facebook is far worse than on here for looking at history. I suppose on Facebook they are happy to answer the same question a zillion times.

We organize a couple of fell races, I have a page on Facebook with maps, car parking and other info, its got 320 followers. I also put on other local clubs events to give them a push. We also have a twitter page with 360 followers which I tend to use for more 'throw away' news cause it only stays relevant for a day or so. Have to say I dont use the FRA forum much at all now, things have moved on.

Splitter!

Banned
    Never done fb. Hate it because stbx is on it.

Forum is just nice, and helpful too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Mmmh. I have been reflecting (as I often do) about change, technology, memory, the whole damn thing... and in particular about Letters to the Fellrunner.

"What?" I hear you expostulate young Noel. Well once upon a time there were such things and from illustrious people too. The first ever "letters page" in Fellrunner no 2 contained the thoughts of luminaries such as Bill Smith and Mike Davies.

"Who are they? you might say "I've never seen their views on facebook or the FRA Forum".

Indeed.
    Dear Bill Smith, such a prodigious output of fell running literature (and performances also) from a man who never owned:- a car, a typewriter, a telephone or a computer. Bravo!
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

I do use FB but more for family and Running Club stuff. Do not go on Fell Runners FB often and if I do it's just to flick through. Any information on races, kit, general banter, political debate .. I come on here. I may not post every day but I do check out any new threads every day. Not always relevant so I just skip over them. For history of races or information on anything FRA related though you really can not beat this Forum. I really hope we never lose it. As for Twitter .......... sorry totally lost me on that one :-)

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Dear Bill Smith, such a prodigious output of fell running literature (and performances also) from a man who never owned:- a car, a typewriter, a telephone or a computer. Bravo!

Yes. All sudden deaths are a shock but until the day Bill died he was still lean and fit and was walking, marshalling, writing and photographing with the vigour and enthusiasm everyone who knew him took for granted and thought would continue, since he was only 75, for years: and then silence.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 07-11-2017 at 01:31 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".