Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Demise of forums

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by midracedave View Post
    Just joined this forum as I've seen on FB as it could (is) in demise.
    Supporting all forms of communication is important if you need to get info across to a wider audience, gone are the days of letter writing and phone calls it is and will be all about instant communication whether we like it or not!
    Is there a link from the FB page to here, I have to admit I don't Know!!!
    Welcome to the Forum, midracedave, and don't believe everything you read on FB (but you probably knew that anyway).
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Strange really, but I've never once looked on the FB site, not even considered it. I'm not a fan of FB anyway so it has never crossed my mind that there would be anything there for me on the fra site.
    I'm on other forums, most of which chug along nicely and all of which can have long debates on all manner of subjects (heated or not).
    For me a forum format offers everything I need and hopefully it shall continue.

Quote Originally Posted by midracedave View Post
    Just joined this forum as I've seen on FB as it could (is) in demise.
    Supporting all forms of communication is important if you need to get info across to a wider audience, gone are the days of letter writing and phone calls it is and will be all about instant communication whether we like it or not!
    Is there a link from the FB page to here, I have to admit I don't Know!!!
    Talk of it's death have been greatly exagger............

Will the final Master to leave the Masters' Lounge please switch the lights off.
    Am Yisrael Chai

I love the resources this forum has and would rate it 10/10 for easy access to information on everything Fell related. Just do an advanced search and I can guarantee I'll find the thread I'm looking for. Sometimes I find duplicates but I look at the most populated to find information or post a question. I hope we never lose the Forum. Yes, it gets a bit heated sometimes but at least it's confined to the one thread and not spread all over the page. On here we can ignore the crap ... if we so wish. ;-)

If we wait long enough, forums could make a come back. Like vinyl did.

Quote Originally Posted by sbrt View Post
    If we wait long enough, forums could make a come back. Like vinyl did.
    Or cassettes.

Super Moderator
    Eight track innit

What about postcards and 2nd class postage; just thinking of Thomas Firbank (I Bought a Mountain); back in the 1930's and earlier the farms around the base of the Glyders used postcards to co-ordinate the gathering of the sheep from off the open tops; the shepherds from each farm knew exactly where each of them had to be and in which directions to gather, on the agreed date. Seemingly it always went like clockwork.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Its fascinating charting the exponential rate of change in communication.
    Printing lasted 400 years before the advent of the telephone which kept us happy for 100 years. The fax lasted 20 years until email came along which was only around for 10 years before the explosion of web-based and phone based comms hit. Now, the life span of platforms is just a few years until something new comes along. Everything that went before just seems like an eddy off the mainstream. Whats next? Mass telepathy??
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Whats next? Mass telepathy??
    I knew you were going to say that