Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Demise of forums

Quote Originally Posted by dnf View Post
    We organize a couple of fell races, I have a page on Facebook with maps, car parking and other info, its got 320 followers. I also put on other local clubs events to give them a push. We also have a twitter page with 360 followers which I tend to use for more 'throw away' news cause it only stays relevant for a day or so. Have to say I dont use the FRA forum much at all now, things have moved on.
    I would say things have broadened rather than moved on. You are using Facebook/twitter as an alternative to creating a website for your race and thats fair enough. You need the immediacy and easy access for your users to transmit specific information about one event. You could not realistically use a forum for that. I set up a website for my race but I took paypal race entry fees through it.
    The forum is a different thing to a race info site.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by dnf View Post
    We organize a couple of fell races, I have a page on Facebook with maps, car parking and other info, its got 320 followers. I also put on other local clubs events to give them a push. We also have a twitter page with 360 followers which I tend to use for more 'throw away' news cause it only stays relevant for a day or so. Have to say I dont use the FRA forum much at all now, things have moved on.
    I could argue that a good old fashioned website may be a more useful way to publish information about a Fell Race? You could clearly display all the information relevant to your race in a nice to view format. It would also have the advantage that anyone with a web browser could see it, whereas only people with a FB account may be able to see the FB page? Disclaimer: I may be biased since I don't do FB.

The forums are a different beast to webpages. I would use a webpage to publish information about a race rather than a forum post. Maybe a forum post, twitter post or something at a suitable date to advertise the upcoming race with a link to the webpage?

Seems to have risen like a phoenix recently. great

I'm not a huge fan of Facebook.

As some have said, it's the ability to search, pick up on a thread again and retain old information.

If you look at advise around particular races, we can find that on here, but not so easy on FB.

FB is more for instant news.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    FB is more for instant news.
    Normally of stuff that is of no actual content/interest/usefulness!
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

I tend to think there is room for both. I am a fan of the FRA Forum though, and actually never look on FRA FB site despite being on it (think I have it unfollowed). As people have said' it is a mine of info which can be accessed relatively easily. FB site can be horrendous with the repeated questions...which shoe, is my waterproof legal, do I need to be able to nav!!? I've always loved the variety here, discussions on yoga, football, poetry. Its not just a running forum. Though sadly, just now at least, it isn't what it was.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Its liked a marriage TFG....all exciting and busy in the first 10 years, then settles down to a long run of lower level but contented activity!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Its liked a marriage TFG....all exciting and busy in the first 10 years, then settles down to a long run of lower level but contented activity!
    Indeed!!
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Banned
    The divorce will not be cheap.
    Forum for me please.

Just joined this forum as I've seen on FB as it could (is) in demise.
    Supporting all forms of communication is important if you need to get info across to a wider audience, gone are the days of letter writing and phone calls it is and will be all about instant communication whether we like it or not!
    Is there a link from the FB page to here, I have to admit I don't Know!!!