Page 8 of 268 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    Just an example
    A UK citizen living in France is in displute with the French goverement has the right to go to the ECJ.
    A french citizen living in the UK has to go to the house of lords who enacts the law as set by the UK goverement (i.e the defendant). The EU would love that.
    Well, France also has the choice, they too can leave the EU and take back control.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Gambatte, the referendum date is irrelevant. Any legal change to immigration status will have an enactment date and non-UK travellers will have a passport date to prove when they arrived.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Just an example
    A UK citizen living in France is in displute with the French goverement has the right to go to the ECJ.
    A french citizen living in the UK has to go to the house of lords who enacts the law as set by the UK goverement (i.e the defendant). The EU would love that.
    Disclosure: I would very much prefer the UK remains in the EU

But that items seems reasonable to me, example:
    A USA citizen living in France in dispute with the French government about a matter of EU law can go to ECJ (who enact EU laws as set by the EU of which France is a member).
    A USA citizen living in France in dispute with the French government about a matter of French specific law can go to one of the French supreme courts (who enact French laws as set by the French government).
    A French citizen living in the USA in dispute with the USA government goes to the supreme court of the USA.

I don't see how that is different to your example Patrick and I think it would be unreasonable for either side to argue about it.

From Wikipedia:
    "The ECJ is the highest court of the European Union in matters of Union law, but not national law. It is not possible to appeal the decisions of national courts to the ECJ, but rather national courts refer questions of EU law to the ECJ."

Someone would only be able to appeal an argument with the UK government to the ECJ if it was a matter of EU law interpretation (same as now), of course if the UK leaves the EU, I don't think EU law could still apply in the UK.

(of course I'd like the UK to remain in the EU)

Oh what a can of worms this vote is, and they all thought it would be so easy.
    This. ^^^ Except, they all (pretended) it would be so easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambatte View Post
    Bear in mind you don't know when they arrived.
    What if a German comes on April 2019, maybe via Ireland, and says he was there since before the referendum?
    We are talking about those here now and arriving prior to the date of leaving.

How we deal with this after leaving will be a matter for the Government of the day and Political Parties will be able to put proposals in to their manifestos at each election.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

The problem there is the EU wants their citizens to have the same rights as at moment such as to relocate family. But an Australian never had those rights. So why should a french man have them but an Australian man does not?

Oh what a can of worms this vote is, and they all thought it would be so easy.
    Is that the EU wanting their cake and eating it?

At the moment the EU Citizens have the right to move around the EU. They will still have those rights.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Banned
    At 11pm local time on March 29 2019, the UK is scheduled to leave the bloc.

Super Moderator
    What are you looking forward to most post us not being part of the bloc?
    Last edited by Derby Tup; 31-07-2018 at 08:31 AM.

A welcome end to all this diatribe.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    What are you looking forward to most post us being part of the bloc?
    The next stupid referendum where we let half the population make a life-changing decision about something nobody even comes close to understanding.