Page 7 of 268 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    They are all issues to be discussed and thrashed out but they are hardly insurmountable.
    I agree they are not insurmountable. But 1) it's a big failure of the Brexit campaign not to have discussed them, never and 2) hard to imagine a trade deal, or any deal, will be agreed before these questions have been settled.

I still don't understand the justification for your comment that EU citizens will be sent back.
    These people do not have a VISA right now, they don't need one. And one day, overnight, they will presumably need it. What criteria will they need to satisfie and how long will they have to get it? This is something they don't know, nobody does not even the Home Office, and I bet is giving them immense stress.
    What about those with job, house, family, friends and everything else? Right now they don't know whether they will be allowed to stay in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambatte View Post
    I agree they are not insurmountable. But 1) it's a big failure of the Brexit campaign not to have discussed them, never and 2) hard to imagine a trade deal, or any deal, will be agreed before these questions have been settled.
    Personally I think the Government should have made an unequivocal declaration early on after the vote that all EU citizens living in the UK would have the right to stay. In fact that is what Leave campaigners like Gove and Johnson wanted. Even so I think the prospects of them being made to leave are zero, not least because people acquire rights under international law anyway (Vienna Convention).
    Last edited by Muddy Retriever; 20-11-2017 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    Would not think you will get very far with that idea with the EU.
    But surely they can't expect anything different can they, where else does a government have jurisdiction over its 'citizens' abroad, diplomatic immunity excepted.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    I hear on the news that some business leaders in Germany are now lobbying to allow UK to have an easier deal in the negotiations with the hope of keeping the UK in Europe. Apparently they think our withdrawal will have catastrophic effects for the EU.

If they'd have done this when Cameron said "we need a different deal or we'll leave", this may have worked. It's all a bit after the horse has bolted now.
    I agree, I would have been tempted to vote Remain myself if the EU had shown more flexibility. The problem was they knew that Cameron was going to campaign for Remain come what may, which weakened his hand considerably. The deal he came back with was nothing like what he had set out to achieve in his Bloomberg speech a few years before.

That is why the UK negotiators shouldn't make the same mistake again. They must mean it when they say they will walk away if the deal is a bad one. Personally I would be considering that course of action now.

Gambatte, its highly unlikely that any change in immigration policy will be enacted retrospectively.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Gambatte, its highly unlikely that any change in immigration policy will be enacted retrospectively.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the UK does not know at what point in time the EU residing in the UK actually arrived.
    So if a German in London says "I can stay here without VISA before I came before the referndum" how can they possibly prove him wrong?

I think the Government has been unequivocal.

All EU citizens will be allowed to stay.

What is really being discussed is the reciprocal and on going rights such as ability to relocate family, right to residency, right to social support.....
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post

Bear in mind you don't know when they arrived.
    What if a German comes on April 2019, maybe via Ireland, and says he was there since before the referendum?

Quote Originally Posted by bigfella View Post
    But surely they can't expect anything different can they, where else does a government have jurisdiction over its 'citizens' abroad, diplomatic immunity excepted.
    Just an example
    A UK citizen living in France is in displute with the French goverement has the right to go to the ECJ.
    A french citizen living in the UK has to go to the house of lords who enacts the law as set by the UK goverement (i.e the defendant). The EU would love that.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post

What is really being discussed is the reciprocal and on going rights such as ability to relocate family, right to residency, right to social support.....
    The problem there is the EU wants their citizens to have the same rights as at moment such as to relocate family. But an Australian never had those rights. So why should a french man have them but an Australian man does not?

Oh what a can of worms this vote is, and they all thought it would be so easy.