Page 10 of 268 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    I don't follow your logic. The EU is quite happy to do trade deals with other countries that are not in the EU including Switzerland, which is right at its heart. If the EU is on a process of ever closer union with the view to creating a European federal state what sense does it make for us to go along with it? In fact the EU had a golden chance to keep the UK in if it had wanted to do so. It could have accepted that not all countries want to be so closely integrated and agreed to Cameron's modest proposals. Instead they sent him home with his tail between his legs. Had they compromised there is every chance the referendum result would have gone the other way.
    Different times. Different political agendas. Different mistakes. Different people.

People. It is not countries negotiating here. It is a few people across a table- maybe only two in reality. And whatever the outcome those two/few people will "sell" the deal as a success.

People. Do you think if Donald Trump had been hired to do the negotiating rather than that buffoon David Davis we would be where we are now?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    What are people's views on the ECJ? I've heard people who are vehemently opposed to it, but I've not heard many of the details of why.

I note that even if the UK leaves the EU entirely, UK companies trading with the EU will still be under its jurisdiction (as the US company Google was recently).
    If you export goods and services to the EU you need to follow the rules of the ECJ. That's not a problem, likewise if you traded in Japan then you would be under the jurisdiction of the Japanese courts for those goods and services. But most companies in the UK don't export to the EU but are still subject to the ECJ's regulations. I believe that only 12% of UK GDP is made up from exports to the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    People. Do you think if Donald Trump had been hired to do the negotiating rather than that buffoon David Davis we would be where we are now?
    I think Boris had it about right on this. If Trump had been in charge there would have been a huge hullabaloo for a while and things would have appeared very fraught. But ultimately his tough stance may well have worked.

As for Davis I don't blame him because he was sidelined by May in favour of the civil servant Oliver Robins. Davis' proposal, which was to seek mutual recognition in standards rather than acceptance of the ECJ's "common" rule book was rejected by May and Robins.
    Last edited by Muddy Retriever; 01-08-2018 at 09:58 AM.

[QUOTE=Graham Breeze;642267

People. Do you think if Donald Trump had been hired to do the negotiating rather than that buffoon David Davis we would be where we are now?[/QUOTE]

If Trump had been involved he would have done EXACTLY what his Master Putin told him to do - which most likely would have been to ensure maximum chaos/disruption as possible in Europe.
    Am Yisrael Chai

As for Davis I don't blame him because he was sidelined by May...
    Absolutely. Teresa is a micro-manager and likes to control every aspects of everything. That's why she's a "difficult woman to deal with". This works when you only have one department to deal with - like she did in the past. Now, however, she needs to manage a team of ministers - which requires a very different skill-set.

It's frustrating that poor man-management is dictating such historic events. Where's Gareth Southgate when you need him?

Banned
    Most politicians are just yes people to the numpties at the top.

We never stood a chance of a good deal.

Aye well, never worry about somat yer can't change.

Turkey is lovely at this time of the year 😎👍

As for Davis I don't blame him because he was sidelined by May in favour of the civil servant Oliver Robins. Davis' proposal, which was to seek mutual recognition in standards rather than acceptance of the ECJ's "common" rule book was rejected by May and Robins.
    When I used to help out training managers in industrial relations negotiation one of the opening questions in the role play could be "are you in a position to agree a deal today or will you have to go back and 'ask your dad'?" It was, of course, an unfair question to establish who was in control - but I suspect Barnier would probably answer "Yes. I can agree a deal" with some confidence.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 02-08-2018 at 01:25 PM.

"Yes" to which question, Graham? I see two there, or is that the intention?

Quote Originally Posted by BritNick View Post
    "Yes" to which question, Graham? I see two there, or is that the intention?
    Text amended!

There is nothing gnomic about me!

/

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Turkey is lovely at this time of the year ����
    Not right now, thanks. I prefer it when it's cooled down a bit...

...in a sandwich on boxing day perhaps.