Page 18 of 268 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    Hmm, I think JK Rowling and other victims of Cybernat online trolling might disagree with you there. It seems to me that the Scottish independence referendum was every bit of divisive as the one on the EU, with friends and families on opposite sides of the argument.

Despite this I think both were valid to hold as they related to issues that needed to be addressed. I see the principle of both as being exactly the same - self determination. I just don't see how one can be more enlightened than the other.
    You could look at JK Rowling and similar. But the you’d be doing this;

Is that a fair representation of Leave, **** no, but it’s easy to develop a distorted view from such stand out experiences.
    JK Rowling, unfortunately, and unfairly became a focal point for the aforementioned ****nuggets. And provides an unpleasant, unacceptable, but distorted view of what happened. To counter that distortion a little remember that Im English and lived in an area that voted Yes. And have still come to the conclusion I mentioned earlier, even though I apparently sound posh (that’s relative to who I was talking too). There’s no point pretending the idiots don’t exist, they do. The abuse thrown at pro independence figures rarely get the same coverage.

I just don't see how one can be more enlightened than the other.
    Enlightened is not something I personally associate with either referendums. Blaming everyone but ourselves for our own failings is closer to the mark.

The difference for me is that I perceived one to be a genuine attempt to create a better society and not the other.

As for division, well, overwhelmingly not a problem as far as I can see. I honestly don’t know enough “normal” Brexiteers to know what that’s doing.

Someone was talking about some research into the abuse harassment in the Scottish referendum, I’ll do some googling you might find it interesting if what I saw claimed was true.
    pies

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    Really? How have they done that then?

I’m guessing he’s referring to the failure to get enough letters?
    pies

Banned
    Will Young

Leave right now

Will Young.

Is that an admission of music preferences? It no wonder we disagree on so many things,
    pies

Quote Originally Posted by shaunaneto View Post
    I’m guessing he’s referring to the failure to get enough letters?
    Partly, and getting up to mischief.

May is on record as saying no deal is better than bad deal.
    So if parliament votes against this 'signed off' deal does that mean its a bad deal and we take a no deal?
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

I don’t think that’s a default position upon that outcome. The last thing I’d be doing is trusting a sound bight from a politician. Particularly one with such mobile red lines as May.

Stop listening to what they say, start watching what they do.
    pies

MR, I couldn’t find any verifiable research on online abuse during the Scottish referendum. But this should give you a flavour https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...shame-scotland

It’s entirely feasible the person talking about the research existing was talking shite
    pies

Will Young, FFS!
    pies

Any thoughts on Trump this morning
    pies