Thread: Forerunner 230 - OS Grid?

Forerunner 230 - OS Grid?

Does anyone know whether the Garmin Forerunner 230 can display an OS grid reference, like my old 310xt?

I've Googled and even read the DC rainmaker in-depth reviews but can't seem to find this out!

thanks!

Not oiut of the box, it's not a field that Garmin give you the option to display.

However you can add fields/apps etc from the IQ Store, and there is a field called OS Gridref that does the job.

Note you can only see this field when you are recording an activity, ie a run or cycle. But the same developer has also done an app ( which gives you a new screen to toggle through when not recording an activity ).

I've got both the data field, and the app on my 230. Both are free.

Thanks Yaks - that's very helpful.

IQ store looks interesting. One thing I like about my 310xt is the number of customisable screens. The 230 only seems to have 2 (not interested in heart rate and all the fitness tracker stuff!) but that app looks like it would solve that.

How do you rate the 230 overall?

Yes, just 2 customisable screens, with up to 4 fields per screen - not sure why they don't allow extra screens would just be a firmware update.

I normally do a weekly interval session, so have 1 screen set up for laps, with lap time, lap distance and lap pace ( plus I have grid ref on here although nothing to do with intervals ! ). Plus the "main screen" with elapsed time, distance, average pace, etc

There's a separate time of day screen, plus a separate heart rate screen.

Overall it's a really solid piece of kit, never let me down and decent battery life.

Only thing I'd like added which would make it perfect is a barometric altimeter for runs/walks in the hills. There's the fairly new Vivoactive 3 that has a baro, but it's touchscreen rather than buttons and that's a big no no for me. Which leaves the Fenix5 or 935 which are both mega bucks.

If you track heart rate at all, then the latest version of the optical sensors are supposed to be a lot better than the initial ones were, so the 235 would cover that.

Note that Amazon have the 235 for £165 today ( or they did, they might be out of them by now ) which is cheaper than the 230

Cheers Yaks. Yeah, saw that on Amazon , but it makes the decision harder! I don't really "need" the optical HRM - it might be useful, but I have really skinny wrists, and reviews of the 235 have hinted it might make it uncomfortable. Best try one on I guess!