Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Zipwire Across Thirlmere?

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    https://youtu.be/Dow7tERyJxo
    So the chairman of the Lake district foundation resigns on the day of their launch due to their apparent lack of opposition to the zip wire.
    Make what you will of that but the one thing I have a big problem with is all the positive posturing eminating from Cumbria tourism when one if their directors is also involved in running tree top trek.
    Absolutely Pete. It stinks doesn't it? I think the same guy is also involved with the big zip wire in Wales.

Really makes you wonder ....
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Eight zip wires (four each way), and apparently Hummers to transport people up and down the access points, reduced parking at Swirls for those heading for Helvellyn and a charge for the new 'family friendly cycleway around the lake' that actually already exists with no charge! No thanks, just zip off! There is a 'zip off' faceplant page for informed local opposition to the scheme for anyone interested.
    A circular route mostly downhill

United Utilities, the landowners, have by coincidence just regraded the proposed access route and felled trees (UU now need retrospective planning permission as it is classed as development) on the western shore. This area is known as the 'summerhouse plantation' from part of the Armboth House (long since demolished) grounds, the stone built summerhouse still exists - splendid in isolation, my guess is this would be lost.

Master
    Up to date news and petition http://zipoff.org/
    The older I get the Faster I was

Signed
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Master
    Good to see Bob it could all help reason prevail.

Interesting article by Chris Townsend on here http://zipoff.org/
    The older I get the Faster I was

Maybe we can use this to our advantage. We support it in return for free access and races on UU land in perpetuity??
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
    Eight zip wires (four each way), and apparently Hummers to transport people up and down the access points, reduced parking at Swirls for those heading for Helvellyn and a charge for the new 'family friendly cycleway around the lake' that actually already exists with no charge! No thanks, just zip off! There is a 'zip off' faceplant page for informed local opposition to the scheme for anyone interested.
    Whats the status of that road Chris? Does it belong to UU or is it a Public Highway? (I thought that's what it is) - if so I cant see how they can charge cyclists to use it.

I think it is classed as an adopted highway - part of the legal requirement for Manchester Corporation after purchasing the estates in the 1890's was that all current public access must be retained - UU will have the same requirement.But the pressure will be on to generate income from the estate that Zip World (via Tree Top Treks) would pay in rent. The modifications (total waste of money in my opinion) on the dam road will prevent two way traffic, being now so narrow, and there was a plan about four years ago to reduce it to a cycle/pedestrian route only, thankfully rejected! I think a zip wire and other theme park attractions would be a great idea for the redundant MoD site at Broughton Moor - now that would help the West Cumbria economy and may help reduce the pressure on the National Park.

Won't happen at Broughton moor that theme park was touted years ago . The roads are so narrow in Great Broughton 2cars can't pass on main road and as bad on Dovenby to the moor road . Besides they've started building houses on the site now