Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Montane Extreme smock?

Super Moderator

Montane Extreme smock?

My Buffalo (Special 6) is ready for replacing and I’m toying with trying a Montane Extreme (smock). Any opinions please? What’s sizing like for the Montane?
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Funny I was having the same dilemma! My first Buffalo was best bit of kit I ever owned. Light enough to run in during cold and wet weather but warm enough for foul weather mountain use. My other two never quite worked the same. Just a bit too warm for basic bad weather running. Recently started using my latest (10+ year old) version for running, as intended next to the skin and its ok but it has to be pretty cold tbh.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Super Moderator
    Stef has ordered me a Montane smock to go to Santa. Review to follow

Super Moderator
    Err, after Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    My Buffalo (Special 6) is ready for replacing and I’m toying with trying a Montane Extreme (smock). Any opinions please? What’s sizing like for the Montane?
    Sorry DT that I haven't picked up this thread earlier, I've had problems getting onto the forum. I have both smocks. I bought the Special 6 about 10 years ago and really rate it for winter fell walking. Then, a couple of years ago, I was given the Montane Extreme smock as a gift.

To my mind the Special 6 is lighter and seems less encumbered (e.g there are no cordura patches on the sleeves, or plastic rings for glove attachments,etc.). I find the Montane hand warming pockets are set too high to shove my hands in comfortably for any extended periods. Probably, the main issue I have with the Montane is the lack of an 'inner belt/strap around the waist, adjustable inside the hand warming pocket, to pull the smock into the small of my back which means there's too much air-space and so a cold pocket (although using a bumbag on the outside, pulled in close, does help with this on the Montane). This might just be down to my body shape having a relatively thin waist perhaps.

Where the Montane does score massively over the buffalo, is the fantastic hood which is easy to attach/detach, is readily adjusted, and has a great face shield. In fact, I now use the Montane hood on each of my Buffalo jackets and have ditched the ridiculously designed Buffalo hoods, which I never found fitted comfortably and had that daft bit of triangular face shield.

All-in-all, both are really decent jackets, if worn next to the skin. Oh yes! There's absolutely no way I'd ever contemplate running in either of these two - you'd spontaneously combust with the heat!
    Last edited by Mossdog; 08-12-2017 at 11:52 PM.
    Am Yisrael Chai

I'm having the same dilemma! My Buffalo is now over 25 years old, and there are patches where the pile has all but vanished - I was also not a runner back then and two stone heavier, so it's a wee bit too big!

Good review Mossdog - based on that though, the Buffalo seems the better option, as I rarely wear it with a hood, favouring the fredoom of a Lowe Alpine Mountain cap, with the buffalo hood stuck on only in REALLY dire weather!

Cheers Mossdog. Think you've cleared that up for me too!! It'll be a new Buffalo sometime for me. Used mine a few times lately for slow, steady state jog/walks in the freezing weather we're having! Maybe I'm cold blooded!!
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Super Moderator
    LA Mountain Cap - cracking bit of kit

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    LA Mountain Cap - cracking bit of kit
    Paramo Balaclava. Another fantastic item of headwear. So warm that i've even considered it overkill on the January Marsden-Edale the past two years. Wore it once in arctic conditions up Skiddaw in December. Also wore it yesterday on a long slow run in the snow. In combination with OMM Rotor Smock and La Sportiva waterproof, I can honestly say I did not feel the cold at any point yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Paramo Balaclava. Another fantastic item of headwear. So warm that i've even considered it overkill on the January Marsden-Edale the past two years. Wore it once in arctic conditions up Skiddaw in December. Also wore it yesterday on a long slow run in the snow. In combination with OMM Rotor Smock and La Sportiva waterproof, I can honestly say I did not feel the cold at any point yesterday.
    Well, that's my Christmas pressie sorted. Thanks for the heads-up ('cause the pun)
    Last edited by Mossdog; 11-12-2017 at 07:29 PM.
    Am Yisrael Chai