Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lamm 2018

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lamm 2018

Never sure if this should go in Races or somewhere else so apologies if I got it wrong :-)

Here's a very interesting email snippet from Martin:

"What I am able to tell you is that assuming it is possible to hold the event, this will be a Mountain Marathon like no other and I'm certain that folk will remember it for many years to come. If you look back over the previous 23 years of the LAMM you will recall that the event has led the way with exciting venues, event transport and innovation. LAMM 2018 will be another first for a Mountain Marathon and I'm hoping to provide a new and really fabulous experience for all concerned.

You will have noticed that for the first time ever, the LAMM will take place on a Friday and a Saturday. For the time being I will offer no explanation for this, save to say that there is no other option if we are to use this fantastic area. For folk based in England, the LAMM will take place at the end of half term week, so this may offer some interesting holiday opportunities. For some folk based in Scotland I can understand that taking Friday off could be problematic and so my apologies to you at the outset. But this is too good an opportunity to miss."

I wonder if that reflects CalMac scheduling? We did the Mull race in 2005 which needed the ferry, as well as Ben Alder (steam train to Corrour) - intrigued to hear what Martin has up his sleeve (on the day before, as ever). Should be a great weekend.
    Any ideas?

b

I reckon you've hit the nail on the head with it relating to the ferry timetables. If you look at which ferries only return early on the Sunday or late on Saturday then that's your clue.
    I've done a few LAMMs and they're always great for a real adventure. I recall being told to be at Glenfinnan station early on Saturday - only to find out that we were being taken towards Mallaig over the Glenfinnan viaduct. Hogwarts and all.........
    Unfortunately I'll be missing it next year.
    I'm sure it will be another cracking venue though.
    See the light in the night

Might need to do some perusing of the CalMac timetables :-)

I do worry a bit that the shift to friday/saturday will make it harder for people to get enough time off work, even with an amazing destination.

I always used to take the friday off if possible, as it was a long drive from Shropshire/Clwyd/Cheshire when I was living round there. Now I suspect to get there for thursday pm or friday early morning it will need two days off work for many people, which won't help Martin attract the 500 entrants aimed for. Could it be that we should sacrifice some of 'the surprise' in favour of knowing which port we need to get to? Still a fairly low chance of people doing recces apart from locals, who will probably already know all about it...

I suspect it will be the last LAMM though - which would mark the end of a wonderful run (no pun intended) of MMs over the last 20 years. So much more fun (on the whole) than following the crocodiles on the KIMM etc. I have been very impressed by Martin's vision over the years - last year with An Teallach and the Fisherfield was a stand out, but see also Glen Shiel and Knoydart, Mull etc.

b

South Uist ferry from Mallaig?

Quote Originally Posted by Fat and Forty View Post
    South Uist ferry from Mallaig?
    Could well be. I would be fairly sure it will be one of the Western Isles where local religious views would not tolerate running the event on the Sabbath.

Barra and South Uist are actually Catholic communities for the most part and pretty relaxed about that sort of thing. There's also not nearly enough proper hill country on them for a two day mountain marathon. Benbecula and North Uist are just featureless moorland and bog so no obvious use either.

Lewis and Harris though have much more suitable terrain and that's where the fire-and-brimstone Presbyterians hold sway.

What about Rockall?
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

Rhum maybe - if its big enough?
    There can be only one

Rùm would be a bit small wouldn't it? 40 square miles with a pointy mountain at the bottom plus a big trench up the middle! Otherwise for an MM there could be an abundance of really difficult micro-nav and not much up and down....

b

Well, where ever it is, I should be back helping again, so frustrating not to have been fit enough to help this year.
    A circular route mostly downhill