Thread: Not the Bob Graham

Not the Bob Graham

I suppose technically this doesn't belong here. A few people have asked how I got on last weekend. Here's how...
    https://wp.me/p2K97L-vK
    Last edited by Ally; 13-12-2017 at 03:37 PM.

Master
    Sounds like you had a cracking day out Ally, and you did something a lot don`t have the guts to do even in summer, experience and memories are of greater value than a certificate. well done

f.w.i.w I see a winter completion of anything, as being 2 weeks either side of the shortest day makes a lot more sense than a 12 week winter
    The older I get the Faster I was

I would have though it would be better to time the start to have the daylight on most of Leg 3. Sargent Man, High Raise, Harrison Stickle is a tricky stretch in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    f.w.i.w I see a winter completion of anything, as being 2 weeks either side of the shortest day makes a lot more sense than a 12 week winter
    Really any definite time frame has the same problems. If people are bothered about specific winter records then it's necessary, beyond that I think it's best to consider the merits of a given round individually. The range of possible conditions is so huge that to lump every round into one of two categories strikes me as a bit simplistic. But really, unless you commit ahead of time to a solo, unsupported, on sight round on the winter solstice, come hell, hail or high water, you may as well not bother.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    I would have though it would be better to time the start to have the daylight on most of Leg 3. Sargent Man, High Raise, Harrison Stickle is a tricky stretch in the dark.
    Absolutely. But for me that would have been a midnight start which brings with it all sorts of difficulties with accommodation and getting back up the road for work on the Tuesday. I pretty much just drove to Keswick, had a cup of tea and set off.

We do try to characterise each winter round that's submitted - "snowy", "icy but clear", etc. but beyond that there's little point in trying to differentiate rounds. I've helped out on two winter rounds and they were totally different in character for example. The Lakes (and UK) just don't get consistent, reliable "Christmas card" winter conditions to be able to say that between dates X & Y will be winter.

Any dates chosen are likely to be arbitrary, the web site gives further reasoning behind the dates and two categories in use. From memory the dates are similar to those used to characterise Alpine climbing winter ascents. Some rules/guidelines/whatever you want to call them are required but we try to keep them to a minimum. A snowflake falling on the roof of the Met Office in London does not a winter make!
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    That's exactly what i did, got light on Calf Crag and that felt about right. This was from a 8pm start on 18th Dec.

enjoyed that, great read

Good read that, thank you, and well done (on the bits that you did well at, at least!)