Thread: mountain bike advice

mountain bike advice

I'm thinking of buying a new mountain bike and things have moved on and got a lot more complicated than the last time I was in the market. Most of my riding is trail-y rather than highly technical.
    29 or 27.5 wheels? single chain ring? I'm tempted by the Boardman comp.
    Any thoughts?
    John McIntosh
    Rossendale Harriers

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    In the same boat myself at the moment. I'm a hardened roadie but hate training indoors and it's too cold and wet for long rides this time of year.
    However, I've thought a lot of fun could be be had on a MTB on my local hills and bridalways. Went out with 2 guys on my CX bike - they were on a 27.5 and a 29er so had a play on both. As you'd expect, speed on the flat and climbing seemed to be much better with the bigger wheel but that was compensated by being far more agile on technical descent through muddy woods etc.
    As I intend to do some distance on it I'm definitely going to go for a hard tail 29er.
    I'm also leaning towards the single chain ring but with a 11 or 12 speed cassette which should have sufficient gear ratios for what I need. Hydraulic disk is a must have too.
    Currently top of the list is a Cube reaction race but also considering compromising on gears and going for a cheaper model.

forgot to say, I looked at the Boardman comp at the weekend and was quite impressed. Not sure on the finish as the display model had quite a few scratches and chips but otherwise the spec was pretty good for the money.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Super Moderator
    Cannondale

Quote Originally Posted by johnmc View Post
    I'm thinking of buying a new mountain bike and things have moved on and got a lot more complicated than the last time I was in the market. Most of my riding is trail-y rather than highly technical.
    29 or 27.5 wheels? single chain ring? I'm tempted by the Boardman comp.
    Any thoughts?
    I'm selling my 2010 Orange P7S, very little use, still on the original tyres it came new with. PM me if you're interested, i'm in Leeds.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Saw a newly new second hand Cannondale and got that, about 90 minutes before you posted! Good luck in shifting it.
    John McIntosh
    Rossendale Harriers

I see you are sorted but I'll post this anyway as others may also be looking for a new Mtb in the sales.
    I've plumped for a Cube Acid 29er. Has double chain ring but I can pick up 32T for under £30 and convert it if I don't like it as it is. Some good offers around on last year's models but the best I found was Chain Reaction
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/m.../rp-prod164270