Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30

Thread: Rombalds Stride entry

  1. #11
    Master Jez Hellewell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Burley-In-Wharfedale, West Yorkshire.
    Posts
    2,144
    Me & Ben Shep reckon Cowpers is longer Will. More runnable, but a tad longer.

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by wjb View Post
    Left of the wall although Iíve heard thereís another way via cowpers cross that Iíve never done.

    Will be good to see you Matt 👍
    Sorry to miss you Will. Another fine sufferfest. As to left or right, I always go left, but not allowed due to the landowner this year. Fine bog on the right ate me up to the thighs and I got wet gloves. The run from Weecher to Keighley gate was wonderful in snow. the crawl up the Chevin was beautifuly greasy, hauling on the trees. The cakes and food on route was up to the normal very high standard. Home and in the shower by 2.00pm

  3. #13
    Master Rob Furness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    2,418
    Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    Sorry to miss you Will. Another fine sufferfest. As to left or right, I always go left, but not allowed due to the landowner this year. Fine bog on the right ate me up to the thighs and I got wet gloves. The run from Weecher to Keighley gate was wonderful in snow. the crawl up the Chevin was beautifuly greasy, hauling on the trees. The cakes and food on route was up to the normal very high standard. Home and in the shower by 2.00pm
    It’s never been allowed, the rules have always said stay right of the wall. The leaders all went left today, I went right, got eaten by a bog monster, and that was the last time I saw the leaders....
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

  4. #14
    Senior Member brummievet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    128
    I was very sad to see that sign today. Fell in more than one bog on the right

  5. #15
    Senior Member wjb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Posts
    322
    Always gone left of the wall and would have today if Iíd got out of bed in time! Itís a public footpath

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by wjb View Post
    Always gone left of the wall and would have today if Iíd got out of bed in time! Itís a public footpath
    From Whetstone Gate towards West Buck Stones? Which OS map are you looking at?
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 04-02-2018 at 08:42 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

  7. #17
    Senior Member wjb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Posts
    322
    Not looking at a map just thought it was cos thereís a stile!

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by wjb View Post
    Not looking at a map just thought it was cos there’s a stile!
    Ah yes. That'll be the one you installed to fool the OS that there should be a path.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

  9. #19
    Master Martyn P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,390
    Quote Originally Posted by Jez Hellewell View Post
    Me & Ben Shep reckon Cowpers is longer Will. More runnable, but a tad longer.
    I think it's longer. Well, it is the way I tried it anyhow The conventional line via West Buck Stones to Piper's Gate works out at 1.59 miles, while via Cowpers I made it 1.75. If it was that boggy to the right of the wall, I'm thinking that this might have been the way to go .... it's pretty much the Jack Bloor line until you reach the ridge path above Black Beck Hole and then High Crag.
    Cowpers.jpg

  10. #20
    Master Jez Hellewell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Burley-In-Wharfedale, West Yorkshire.
    Posts
    2,144
    Quote Originally Posted by Martyn P View Post
    I think it's longer. Well, it is the way I tried it anyhow The conventional line via West Buck Stones to Piper's Gate works out at 1.59 miles, while via Cowpers I made it 1.75. If it was that boggy to the right of the wall, I'm thinking that this might have been the way to go .... it's pretty much the Jack Bloor line until you reach the ridge path above Black Beck Hole and then High Crag.
    Cowpers.jpg
    What he said! With such boggy conditions it probably would have been quicker this year. Especially for Ben Shep. who wore trail shoes. Still came an impressive 3rd mind you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •