Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keeping fit when injured?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    After a recent minor calf pull I looked into a static bike - but had to send it back due to a manufacturing fault - so I ended up going to the local gym - they had a cheap deal on pre-xmas. 30 mins on the bike certainly worked up a sweat, and now I am back running again, albeit a bit more cautiously. As a long term training method it would be a bit dull, but in the short term it is quite interesting - the gym bikes have videos of routes through the Alps and so on to distract you, and seeing the big boys building up their biceps adds to the fun.
    Thanks for the advice Mike. I'm glad to hear you've recovered and you're back pounding the fells.

I'm still undecided about how best to deal with the cardio-aerobic issue, but at least I'm chalking up a shed load of core strength in the meantime. I'm watching my diet too as going from running 30 plus miles a week and 6000 feet has left a surplus of calories to cope with otherwise!
    Am Yisrael Chai

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    I did manage to sort out the old bike though and found an exact match online.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/pe...savoie.193152/

Not exactly cutting edge
    Rather lovely nonetheless!

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Rather lovely nonetheless!
    Nice of you to say Pete.

Reynolds 531 tubing was the bee-knees when I bought it. It's pretty much original with Sachs-Huret components and while it used to have a helicomatic rear hub, I had to remove this as it was constantly munching rear wheel spokes. It ventured on several month-long holidays in the Picos de Europa and had a spell in the Pyrenees, along with my old Ultimate Phazor-dome tent. All now suitably vintage - a bit like me
    Last edited by Mossdog; 09-01-2018 at 08:25 PM.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    Nice of you to say Pete.

Reynolds 531 tubing was the bee-knees when I bought it. It's pretty much original with Sachs-Huret components and while it used to have a helicomatic rear hub, I had to remove this as it was constantly munching rear wheel spokes. It ventured on several month-long holidays in the Picos de Europa and had a spell in the Pyrenees, along with my old Ultimate Phazor-dome tent. All now suitably vintage - a bit like me
    Lovely stuff.
    I used to live about 2 miles from the Reynolds factory. My first decent bike was 531 and my commuter is still a Reynolds steel frame albeit 725 these days. Steel is real as they say!

Pool running is surprisingly good. I stuffed my achilles last spring and had to take some weeks off. 3/4 sessions a week of about an hour doing basically interval workouts in the pool (with a pool running belt on for flotation) kept me pretty fit, even if I did feel like a knob. 2 weeks later I ran the Lakeland Trails Marathon; maybe not 100% but I didn't lose anything like as much as I feared I would.
    Ben Heathcote
    Tynedale Harriers & AC

Just a thought Mossdog. It might be worth considering doing a big block of basic leg strengthening work (weighted or body-weight). Squats, Swissball work etc while you're on a forced reduction in running. Come back stronger if not as run fit. Re: Wheezing Donkey and the knee thing. I had a similar experience with my knees improving with some cycling added to my training, as does Mrs tfg. My 'theory' was that the extra/different quad work improved the knee placement etc so stopping unwanted internal 'rubbing'. A simplified explanation.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by that_fjell_guy View Post
    Just a thought Mossdog. It might be worth considering doing a big block of basic leg strengthening work (weighted or body-weight). Squats, Swissball work etc while you're on a forced reduction in running. Come back stronger if not as run fit. Re: Wheezing Donkey and the knee thing. I had a similar experience with my knees improving with some cycling added to my training, as does Mrs tfg. My 'theory' was that the extra/different quad work improved the knee placement etc so stopping unwanted internal 'rubbing'. A simplified explanation.
    Thanks for the helpful advice TFG and also TT above. Yes, I've been racking up lots of squats daily (250) and calf raises (100). I've tried using weights to reduce the number of squats before exhaustion sets in, but I find its my shoulders that ache well before my quads reach over burn. Ive been over to Alston and back on the bike (about 45 miles. 3000 ft round trip), a couple of times now, but it does take a toll on my ankle a little, which is disappointing. I'm sadly resigned to accepting that this is probably going to take another couple of months
    Am Yisrael Chai

tbh Mossdog it sounds like you're doing all you can. Horses for courses, using what's available to yourself etc. Its only second week in January hopefully you can be back on the running miles by end of February and stronger maybe! Good luck and enjoy the cycling!
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by that_fjell_guy View Post
    ... Re: Wheezing Donkey and the knee thing. I had a similar experience with my knees improving with some cycling added to my training, as does Mrs tfg. My 'theory' was that the extra/different quad work improved the knee placement etc so stopping unwanted internal 'rubbing'. A simplified explanation.
    TFG, I've been cycling alongside my spasmodic running for over 12 years. It's only in the last 9 months of predominantly riding the 'fixie' that my knees seem to have come good and my running is now on a far more regular basis.
    PS Last Thursday we rode Lancaster - H.Bentham for coffee then Burton-in-Lonsdale (thrutchy, little climb), Ireby (another shorty, thrutchy climb), Leck, Overtown, Casterton, Kirkby Lonsdale for lunch, Wrayton and Spout Lane (two thrutchy, little climbs ) Wennington, Wray, Lancaster. All on 59" fixed and the knees were great. Ran to the Lancaster Park Run on Saturday, did the run then ran home, no problem.
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 15-01-2018 at 03:14 PM.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!